If you’re ready to lose weight then it’s time to get down to business. There’s no more room for excuses. But there is room for improvement. If what you’ve done in the past hasn’t worked, then it’s time to build a weight loss plan for success so that you don’t repeat the same habits and sabotage yourself. The following steps will help.
1. Make a written commitment. The gap between saying that you are finally ready to get fit and actually doing it can be very wide. That’s why it is important to write down your weight loss goals and make a written commitment. You want to hold true to yourself and be as focused on your goals as possible. Think about it. When you say, “I want to lose a couple of pounds” it goes out into the universe and hangs in the air. But when you write down, “I want to lose 10 pounds in one month” it makes it real. It also gives you a timeline and a realistic goal to shoot for. Write down your weight loss goals and be realistic with your expectations and what you can achieve. Sign your name at the bottom to make the commitment official.
2. Choose an activity that you enjoy. You won’t be able to lose weight unless you exercise, so pick an activity that you really enjoy. If you love going for walks, try to walk as much as you can during the week. If you force yourself to run when you don’t really enjoy running at all, then you won’t stick with it and you’ll give up before you even get started. It’s okay to challenge yourself, but be honest about the kinds of activities that you know aren’t right for you.
3. Change your eating habits. Like exercise, you won’t be able to lose weight without changing your eating habits. Try starting out with simple changes first and foremost. If you make drastic changes to your diet, you might end up frustrated and depressed. Try eating a salad for dinner twice a week, or cutting down the times you go out for lunch. Simple changes will allow you to get comfortable with your new eating habits, and you can always make additional changes down the road.
4. Get support. You don’t have to do it alone! If you need some extra support to help you stay on track and achieve your weight loss goals, you can always seek some help. There is no shame in asking for help. Join a weight loss group or hire a personal trainer. This way, you will find the support you need.
5. Praise yourself. Lastly, always give yourself extra encouragement. If you miss a workout or eat pizza for dinner, don’t get down on yourself. Allow yourself the room to make mistakes, and encourage yourself to keep going. The best thing you can do to stay on track is to praise yourself for having the courage and the will to lose weight!