PBC Boxing Results: Nothing Resolved after Truax and Quillin Declared a No Contest in Minneapolis
By: Andrew Johnson
Questions about the future of the Super Middleweight division were left unanswered on Saturday night after the bout between Caleb Truax and Peter Quillin was declared a no contest after the second round. A clash of heads, initiated by a Quillin lunge, caused a cut over Truax’s eye in the middle of round 2.
“The head butt came during an exchange where he led with his head.” said a deflated Truax after the truncated fight. “As soon as I turned around the blood started dripping into my right eye.”
From ringside, it looked like Truax knew a stoppage was inevitable almost immediately after he was cut. A river of bright, red blood streamed over his eye and down his nose throughout the rest of the second round. The doctor’s decision to stop the fight was not a surprise, but it meant that over 4,000 fans left the arena without seeing their hometown hero land a meaningful punch.
The unsatisfying conclusion seemed to hurt Truax more than the gash on his face. “It’s disappointing I couldn’t put on a good fight for the fans.” Truax said after the fight was stopped. “I’m flattered that everybody came out for me. The fans are doing a great job representing how strong our boxing community is.”
The clash of heads was unintentional and Quillin didn’t try to overplay his performance, even though he probably won the first two rounds. He said “I don’t think I deserve to fight (IBF Champion) Caleb (Plant) with this kind of win. I want to do it again with Truax here in Minnesota or come back to Brooklyn, my home.”
PBC has already booked a date at The Armory in Minneapolis for mid-July with Jamal James (25-1-0, 12 KOs) as the only fighter announced for the event. Maybe Truax and Quillin will try again in mid-July, but it is unlikely that Plant will wait that long to defend his title.
Earlier in the evening, Sergiy Derevyanchenko (13-1, 10 KO) outpointed a sturdy Jack Culcay (25-4-0, 3 KOs) in an IBF title eliminator match at 160 lbs. The victory keeps the Ukrainian fighter in the mix for the IBF belt.
Joey Spencer (7-0-0, 6 KOs) won an underwhelming decision in a fight where he was supposed to shine. Osias Vasquez (4-2, 0 KOs) was no match for Spencer, but he made it the distance and frustrated his opponent throughout the six rounds.
Money Powell IV (10-0-0, 6 KOs) made the most out of his opportunity and delivered the strongest performance of the evening. The 21 year-old looked sharp and showed tremendous potential in his TKO victory against Christian Aguirre (8-5-0, 4 KOs). He started slow, but built momentum by firing impressive combinations that Aguirre could not handle. Look for Powell to appear in the televised portion of future PBC on FS1 events.
PBC Boxing Preview: Caleb Truax and Peter Quillin Fight to Stay Alive at 168 lbs
By: Andrew Johnson
Minneapolis will play host to Saturday night’s PBC card, which will be televised on FS1 and FOX Deportes. In the main event, Caleb “Golden” Truax (30-4-2, 19 KOs) will face Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin (34-1-1, 23 KOs) in an IBF Super Middle Weight title eliminator match. The bout has the potential to be a compelling fight because both Truax and Quillin are former world champions and both desperately need a win to stay relevant at 168 lbs.
A convincing win would likely launch the victor into a lucrative title fight against current IBF Super Middleweight Champion Caleb Plant (18-0-0, 10 KOs), while the loser will have to field questions about retirement. At Thursday’s press conference, Quillin shrugged off any suggestions that a loss might put an end to his boxing career, but Truax addressed the ramifications of the fight head on.
“The stakes are high for this fight. Whoever wins hopefully gets a crack at the title. It’s going to be tough for the loser to bounce back. If I want to keep fighting I have to leave Saturday with my hand raised.” said Truax.
Truax wants to keep fighting, especially on the national stage he earned after defeating James DeGale (25-3-1, 15 KOs) for the IBF World Super Middleweight title just over a year ago. Truax was spectacular in his shocking upset of DeGale as a 40-1 underdog, but he was underwhelming in the rematch and lost the title. If the Truax who shocked DeGale shows up on Saturday night, he has the chance to dictate the pace and wear down Quillin over twelve rounds.
He will be fighting in front of a sold-out crowd at The Armory in his hometown, Minneapolis. Truax told the media, “It’s a thrill to be in this fight and have it here at The Armory in front of my hometown fans. I saw the support that (fellow Minnesota-native) Jamal James got for his last fight, and I’m expecting more of that on Saturday. It’s going to be special and I’m going to take advantage.”
Peter Quillin also understands what is at stake on Saturday. It has been over three years since he lost to Danny Jacobs (35-2-0, 29 KOs) in a surprising first round TKO. Though Quillin never hit the canvas, the defeat derailed what had been a swift rise to the top of the Middleweight division. Now fighting as a Super Middleweight, Quillin hopes that a decisive victory against Truax would remind fans, and his promoters, of the Kid Chocolate who won thirty fights in a row. Quillin says that he is a better man, and better boxer, because of the loss and realizes he faces a tough challenge fighting Truax in Minneapolis.
“I have a very determined opponent and I’m fighting in his backyard.” said Quillin. “It’s a tough fight for both of us. I have to put my authority down on this fight and control it. It’s going to be hard with all his fans in there, but what I’ve always done is take negative circumstances, and turn them into positives.”
Vegas (if they are taking bets on this one) may have Kid Chocolate as a slight favorite, but it feels like an even fight. Saturday night’s fight is billed as a “title eliminator”, but for Truax and Quillian, much more is on the line, because the loser’s career may be over.
PBC extends the “title eliminator” theme of the card with Sergiy Derevyanchenko (12-1, 10 KOs) facing Jack Culcay (25-3, 13 KOs) in the co-main event. Derevyanchenko fought over 400 times as an amateur. He looked confident and in great shape at the weigh-in. Culcay is ranked as the number-two contender by the IBF and hopes that his jab can frustrate the Ukrainian and open up opportunities to land power shots late in the fight.
Nineteen-year-old Joey Spencer (6-0-0, 6 KOs) will participate in a televised fight as the PBC looks to put their Super Welterweight prospect in front of a national audience. He fought at The Armory a year ago and scored a first-round TKO by knocking down Ousmane Sylla (1-4-1, 1KO) three times…on three punches. Look for another early KO by Spencer on Saturday.
Money Powell IV (9-0-0, 5 KOs) will fight deep in the untelevised portion of Saturday night’s card. The 2016 Amateur World Champion has looked good since turning professional and may be someone to keep your eye on at Super Middleweight.
PBC on Fox Preview: Quillin vs. Love, Alexander vs. Berto
By: Daniel Smith
This Saturday night, on August 4th, former welterweight world champs Andre Berto and Devon Alexander will mix it up within the square jungle in a 12-round main event. The undercard of the fight features former middleweight champ Peter Quillin vs. contender J’Leon Love in a super middleweight bout. The event takes place at the Nassau Coliseum in New York and will be televised live by FOX.
First and foremost, let’s sample the undercard before the main event.
Peter Quillin vs. J’Leon Love (Super Middleweight Division).
At thirty-five- years of age, the former WBO middleweight world champion, Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin is chomping at the bit for another world title shot. A shot and prospect which he believes is potentially within touching distance.
However, he first needs to eradicate his opponent and younger contender, J’Leon Love, from a long line of rapacious super middleweight fighters within a rough, tough and dangerously competetive division.
Both Quillin and Love’s professional records are blemished with a loss and draw a piece, and both men will be more than prepared to rage against the tide and be dragged into deep waters; dissolving all strategic-game plans, scrapping it out in a brutal tear-up in order to advance to the next phase of their careers and compete at the top level for a super middleweight title.
Until 2015, Peter Quillin was ploughing his way through middleweight boxers, accumulating and notching up an impressive score of 23 knockouts on his professional record. However, since suffering a vicious first-round TKO at the fast-flurrying, lethal hands of Daniel Jacobs back in 2015, Quillin began re-scaffolding his boxing career, and in 2017, he fought for twelve rounds and earned a unanimous decision against Dashton Johnson.
Now, “Kid Chocolate” seems raring to go and ready to steamroll his way to victory against the (24-1-1) J’Leon Love. But can he achieve it? Can Quillin, at 35, return to the sport after a hefty 21 month lay off, only to come back in heavier weight class and present a challenge to the top, youthful, title-hungry super middleweight lions? Well, all will be revealed this commencing Saturday night, where a cracking night of boxing should be on the cards!
The former Olympian, sports a professional career of (24-1-1) – a fairly decent record with its sole defeat coming from a the Rogelio Medina fight, where a steely left hook rendered Love out by the eight count. However, this fight is a “must-win” if he is to be thrown into the blend of fighters that present a serious threat to the division’s reigning champions, Groves (WBA), Benavidez (WBC), Ramirez (WBO) and Uzcategui (IBF). If so, J’Leon needs to execute his game-plan with precision and effect; deploying and detonating with hard, clean-crisp punches and convincingly winning the bout to aid his ascending climb on the competitive super middleweight ladder.
This weekend, we’ll see if Love has the skill, determination and calibre to be regarded as a genuine contender that possess champion material.
The Main Event – Berto vs Alexander (Welterweight Division)
The main event will showcase Devon Alexander vs. Andre Berto. The former two-weight class, unified world champion, Devon Alexander – a man whose held the WBC and IBF light welterweight titles as well as the IBF welterweight belt, will trade leather against the two-time former welterweight world WBC, IBF and WBA champion, Andre Berto. Berto will clash with the No 4 ranked IBF, welterweight contender in a fight (if he’s successful) that will potentially hurl him back in contention with the division’s elite welterweight warriors.
Let’s take a preview and analysis of both men going into the bout.
Devon Alexander “The Great” (27-4-1) needs to be sharp and slick in this fight when utilising his solid three punch combinations. It’s clear that Alexander is capable and prepared to stand toe-to-toe and involve himself with terse and brutal, “fighting in a phone booth” slugfests – his battle against Ortiz springs to mind. However, “The Great” should get behind his jab, set traps and fire “in and out” with poised, venomous shots that rattle and breakdown his opponent.
With the No. 1 slot vacant for the IBF title, Alexander, absolutely needs to make this one count and do it in style, too if he’s to knock the top welterweight dogs from their championship spots.
Andre “The Beast” Berto – with 36 fights, 31 wins and 5 losses in his repertoire; Berto should be licking his lips at the prospect of causing an upset by defeating the bookies favourite in this contest. If “The Beast” emerges victorious as the underdog going into the fight, then it would certainly raise his stock and add further spice to an already fiery division. But only time will tell.
For this fight, both men should prepare for vicious trades within an ugly, Gran Prix paced scrap that displays fast hands, rapid combinations and hard, solid punishing blows. Both fighters can’t afford to get caught cold and both need to be vigilant and wired-up, yet capable to dispatch a dynamite, powerhouse ferocity that explodes “at the ready.” Essentially, a convincing win is definitely required from one of the two boxers. But who wins and who goes away with second prize from a two horse race?
Is “Kid Chocolate” the Most Used Name for a Boxer?
By Ken Hissner
The last name Smith has many boxers with that name but “Kid Chocolate” has to be right up there with seventy-two, yes 72 boxers have used that name!
The most famous was Havana Cuba’s Kid “Bon Bon” Chocolate, 136-10-6 (51), NBA World Super featherweight and NYSAC World Featherweight champion.
There were 12 Young Kid Chocolate’s. There were also Kid Chocolate l, plus 3 Kid Chocolate ll’s and 1 Kid Chocolate lll’s. Also, a Kid Chocolate, Jr. Philadelphia’s Ronnie Walker, 19-7, was one of the Baby Kid Chocolate’s.
Only 17 of the 72 Kid Chocolates had a winning record even if it was 2-1. The worst record was Baby Kid Chocolate 26-50-10, and believe it or not from Hershey, PA, the Chocolate town known for their Hershey chocolate candy bars.
The name Kid Chocolate did few boxers any good since only one of them had 20 and one 10 wins with the rest below 10 wins of the 72 except “Bon Bon” whose real name was Eligio Sardinias Montalvo and was the original Kid Chocolate starting in 1927.
The greatest P4P boxer ever “Sugar” Ray Robinson’s real name was Walker Smith, Jr. There were 40 named John Smith, 25 named James Smith and 24 Charley Smith names boxers.