By: William Holmes
The following is the Boxing Insider notebook for the week of April 22nd to April 29th covering the comings and goings in the sport of boxing that you might have missed.
Mayweather Eyes British Debut
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is planning to have British fight inside the next 18 months. The fight could even be an open air stadium defense of his WBC Welterweight title against Amir Khan. Khan is currently ranked number two for Mayweather’s title.
Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather’s advisor, stated, “ Floyd cannot wait until we can come over there and give the UK fans a big, big fight. Floyd has a tremendous fan base in the UK and we’re looking at working on something now where he’s going to come over there. Ever since the Ricky Hatton fight in 2007, Floyd fans have been very loyal to Floyd and he definitely acknowledges that and he wants to bring a big, big event to the UK. There’s definitely a very strong possibility that Floyd will fight in the UK. We’ll see how thing things plays out, his focus is Saturday night and then we’ll go from there.”
Ricky Hatton Believes Murray Should be World Middleweight Champ
Ricky Hatton says he cannot understand how Martin Murray didn’t emerge victorious against Sergio Martinez this weekend. Murray Scored a knockdown in the eighth round and had Martinez down again in the tenth round only to have it ruled a slip.
Ricky Hatton stated, “I think Martin should be the middleweight champion. It was a good competitive fight but there was only one winner for me. When you go into the lion’s den you have to rip the title from the champion and although he couldn’t finish as strong as we would have liked, Martin was the aggressor. He also scored a knockdown and it should have been two in my opinion. I think if one good thing did come out of the fight, it’s that we now know that Martin is the best middleweight in Britain as his performance against Martinez eclipsed Macklin and Barker’s by a long way.”
Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi to Defend Title against Adrien “The Problem” Broner
WBA Welterweight World Champion Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi is set to defend his title against two division world champion Adrien “The Problem” Broner in Malignaggi’s hometown of Brooklyn at Barclays Center on Saturday, June 22nd. Johnathon Banks and Set Mitchell will also be on the card in a rematch from Banks 2012 upset win over Mitchell. This card will be broadcast on Showtime.
“This fight was the main motivation for winning my second world championship last year,” said Malignaggi. “I wanted be in a huge main event at Barclays Center. This is a blockbuster event and I can’t wait to make a successful title defense in Brooklyn where my roots are.”
“Paulette better be in some shape,” said Broner. “On June 22, I will be a three-time world champion in three weight classes at just 23-years-old.”
Dana White Issues Challenge to Tyson Fury
UFC President Dana White has responded to the recent comments by Tyson Fury has made towards MMA and it’s fighters, specifically UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez. Dana White responded by saying, “Come on over, we’ll make a deal. You want to fight Cain? Come on over here. You will get smashed.” http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/04/dana-white-issues-challenge-to-boxer-tyson-fury-you-will-get-smashed
Larry Holmes to Attend Fight Night! Friday May 24th, 2013
Former Heavyweight Champion and Boxing Hall of Fame member Larry “The Easton Assassin” Holmes will be ringside at the Westchester County Center, White Plains, NY Friday night, May 24, 2013 for Fight Night! Larry Holmes will be available for photos and conversation and will provide color commentary on the live “Go Fight Live” broadcast. This appearance will be part of an upcoming documentary on Larry Holmes storied professional career. Tickets can be purchased at the Westchester County Center Box Office by calling John Iarusso at 914-486-8862.
Lucas Browne Defeats James Toney
Lucas “Big Daddy” Browne moved a few more rungs up the heavyweight ladder by defeating legendary American veteran James Toney in Melbourne on Sunday. He controlled the contest from the first bell until the last and was rewarded with a wide unanimous decision as well as the WBF title.
Browne isn’t getting too excited just yet. He stated, “ I wasn’t really pleased overall with my performance. I won and I’m very happy, but there’s more work that needs to be done. Toney was slick and avoided my right hand, but had no answer to my crisp jab, which left him with 30 stitches in his mouth to sort out. It was nice to have such a great turn out including Ewan McGregor in support.”
Huck vs. Afolabi III in Berlin on June 8th
The fight between WBO titlist Marco Huck (35-2-1) and interim champion Ola Afolabi (19-2-4) is going to be staged on June 8 in Berlin, Germany at the Max Schmeling-Halle. “I’m glad that we have finally arrived at this point. I will be fighting in my backyward,” said an excited Huck.
The first time the pair have met inside the ring was back in December of 2009 in Ludwigsburg, Germany. Back then, the prodigy of Coach Ulli Wegner won a hard fought battle after twelve rounds by unanimous decision with scores of 115-113, 115-113 and 116-112 to his name. After Huck’s brief spell as a heavyweight in a world title fight against WBA King Alexander Povetkin and with Afolabi recapturing the interim title, they met once again on May 5 of last year. The rematch in Erfurt, Germany again went the whole distance and the bout ended in a majority draw (114-114, 114-114 and 115-113), resulting in Afolabi keeping his WBO mandatory position.
Originally, Don King won the purse bid to Huck vs. Afolabi III, but the right to host the fight was handed down by the WBO to Sauerland Event. King failed to finalize necessary details within a set period. Hence Team Sauerland, the second highest bidder during February´s purse bid will now put on the show instead.
Sauerland Event’s Managing Director Chris Meyer: “After that was all set, we quickly came to an agreement with Tom Loeffler of K2 Promotions, who is looking after the interests of Afolabi. The fight will take place in Berlin on June 8.”
2nd Annual New York State Boxing Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
The second annual New York State Boxing Hall of Fame induction dinner was held on Sunday at Russo’s On the Bay in Howard Beach, New York.
Legendary Jack Dempsey (61-6-9, 50 KOs) leads the 2013 posthumous participant inductees list that also indluces Johnny Dundee (83-32-20, 17 KOs), Sandy Saddler (144-16-2, 103 KOs), and world light heavyweight champion Maxie Rosenbloom (207-39-26 (19 KOs).
Living boxers heading into the NYSBHOF are Joey Archer (61-6-9, 50 KOs), Iran Barkley (43-19-1 (27 KOs), Mark Breland (35-3-1, 25 KOs), Bobby Cassidy (59-16-3, 27 KOs); Doug Jones (30-10-1, 20 KOs), Junior Jones (50-6, 28 KOs), James “Buddy” McGirt (73-6-1, 48 KOs), and Eddie Mustafa Muhammad (50-8-1, 39 KOs).
Living non-participants heading into the NYSBHOF are promoter Bob Arum, managers Shelly Finkel and Tony Graziano, television analyst Larry Merchant; and posthumously, matchmaker Teddy Brenner, promoters Mike Jacobs and Tex Rickard, and blow-by-blow television and radio announcer Don Dunphy.
McGee Prepared to Spoil Holly Holm’s Swan Song in Boxing
Former NABC World lightweight title-holder “Merciless” Mary McGee (20-1, 11 KOs) is going to Albuquerque with nothing but respect for her opponent, 14-time, three-division world champion Holly “The Preacher’s Daughter” Holm (32-2-3, 9 KOs). She’s also heading there to spoil the soon-to-be-retired Holm’s final appearance in a boxing ring, on Saturday night, May 11, at Route 66 Casino Hotel in Albuquerque.
“I appreciate the opportunity to fight Holly Holm, who is the biggest name in our sport,” McGee said. “A fight like this is good for our sport and I’m glad to be in it. She is a true champion who has always fought the best. They saw what I could do there in my last fight. I want to challenge myself to fight the best and have trained hard for that. I’m at that level now. In basketball, teams don’t choose who to play next, and I think women’s boxing should be the same way, fighting the next in line. Cecilia chose to fight Mia (St. John) in her last fight, instead of Holly, and that decision hurt our sport. I think it was stupid and made us all look bad.”
“I take nothing away from her and look forward to being in a great fight. But, flat out, I want to win. I will not disrespect Holly in anyway. I have nothing but respect for all she’s done in boxing. I do believe in myself and look forward to a great fight.”
Lucian Bute Open Media Workout Quotes
Lucian Bute: “It’s been almost six years that he’s been talking negatively about me. He repeatedly said that I was afraid to face him and that by avoiding him I do not respect the fans. I always knew this fight would happen. It was just a question of choosing the right time. And here we are.”
“I accepted to move up to 175 (pounds) to make sure the fight happens. The time has come to shut him up!”
“I was an undefeated boxer during my preparation leading up to the fight with Carl Froch. I knew nothing of the impact and consequences of defeat. I discovered the hardships of losing. It was very hard to live with what happened. The defeat made me lose some confidence in my abilities and it showed in my fight against Denis Grachev. I was hesitant in my performance. It took some time, but I am back and hungry for victory. I will not repeat any of my errors against Pascal.”
“It’s been a while since I’ve been at such peak physical condition. I miss this feeling.”
“Pascal is very present in my head. When I walk into the gym, I think of Pascal. I visualize the fight all the time, sometimes even while having dinner with my team.”
Send this to a friend