Listen Now:  

Tony Luis Dominates ESPN’s Friday Night Fights

Posted on 01/31/2015

by Sean Crose

Karl “Dynamite” Dargan (17-1, 9 KOs) battled Tony “Lightning” Luis (19-2, 7 KOs) in the main event of this week’s ESPN Friday Night Fights broadcast from the Foxwoods Resort in Mashantucket, Connecticut.

Both lightweights were fast and talented. What’s more, Dargan stepped into the ring with serious knockout power.

It was an event worth looking forward to, one where fans could expect to see faces they might soon become familiar with. Dargan went down in the third, but the referee claimed it was a slip. Luis, however, subsequently controlled the match. He outworked Dargan, to the point where it almost seemed like the highly touted Dargan had no way to respond to Luis’ attack.

By the midway point of the bout, it was clear Dargan was in a bit of trouble. He could still pull out a victory, but he would have to alter his strategy, which heretofore had proven to be disappointing. The underdog (at 7-1) Luis was stealing the fight from him.

By the time the eighth round rolled around, it was clear that Dargan was at a loss. Simply put, he couldn’t figure his Canadian opponent out. Luis, on the other hand, looked impressive indeed, digging in, stifling Dargan and landing crisp shots against the Philadelphia native. Luis was a man who had gone to Connecticut to win.

And win he did. After dropping Dargan in the 10th, Luis went on to be rewarded a well-deserved unanimous decision victory (97-92, 99-90, 97-92).

Earlier on, middleweight Russell Lamour (11-1, 5 KOs)) lost a close – a VERY close – eight round match to Thomas Falowo (13-3, 8 KOs). This was a high energy, go for broke tussle in which both men fought admirably and either man could have arguably won. That being said, Lamour was a good enough sport to clap once the unanimous decision victory was given to his opponent.

The saddest part of the evening involved the dismantling of light heavyweight Jeff Lacy (27-6, 18 KOs), at the hands of Sullivan Barrera (15-0, 10 KOs). Ringside commentator Teddy Atlas exclaimed throughout the bout that the 37-year-old Lacy had no business being in the ring.

Atlas was right. After being knocked down and beaten up, Lacy was mercifully taken out of his misery by referee Mike Ortega before the end of the fourth round.

Leave a Comment

More Headlines

Listen to my podcast


Established in 1997 as a premier boxing destination. The staff of love hearing from people all over the world.



Send this to a friend