Tag Archives: george Kambosos jr

Teofimo Lopez Vs. George Kambosos Jr. Officially Set For November 27th, At Hulu Theater In Madison Square Garden

Posted on 10/20/2021

By: Hans Themistode

After several starts and stops, Teofimo Lopez will finally defend his WBO, WBA, and IBF lightweight titles against mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr. Their contest is now officially set to take place on November 27th, at Hulu Theater in Madison Square Garden.

Both Kambosos Jr. and Lopez have gone back and forth for the past several months with seemingly, no true concrete date to work with. After watching Triller win their purse bid earlier this year, Kambosos Jr. and Lopez sat back and patiently waited for their contest to take place. However, the pair was incredulous about the consistent postponements.

With Kambosos Jr. unwilling to placate the wishes of Triller by moving their fight date once again, the streaming company was ultimately found to be in default. Subsequently, long-time promoter Eddie Hearn, was then given the right to promote their showdown since he originally dished out the second-largest bid.

Although Hearn was thrilled with the news, he struggled with finding an immediate date. Nevertheless, with Ryan Garcia forced off his November 27th encounter against Joseph Diaz due to hand surgery, Hearn has now given the vacant slot to Lopez vs. Kambosos Jr.

Since picking the biggest win of his career against Vasyl Lomachenko in October of 2020, Lopez has sat idly by as his career came to a grinding halt. Needless to say, with reassurance that his contest against Kambosos Jr. will take place next, Lopez is now patiently watching the clock.

“The time has finally come!” said López. “It has been a long wait for Team Takeover. We’ve been in the zone for six months and counting but we’re pleased to be able to finally get this fight on DAZN! The Takeover will show the world once again why we are called ‘The People’s Champ’.”

More Headlines

Teofimo Lopez Vs. George Kambosos Jr. Reportedly Headed To MSG On Tuesday, October 5th

Posted on 08/23/2021

By: Hans Themistode

Teofimo Lopez was adamant that he would not be traveling to the backyard of IBF mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr., to defend his lightweight world titles. Lopez, 24, was so headstrong in his decision in fact, that he threatened to drop the IBF title entirely. Now, after a lengthy battle, he should be ultimately happy with the results.

For the first title defense of his unified career, Lopez will take on Kambosos Jr. at the Hulu Theater in New York’s Madison Square Garden on October 5th.

According to Mike Coppinger of ESPN, who first reported the news, Ryan Kavanaugh of Triller has reportedly sent out contracts to both parties.

“We’re really excited about it: Tuesday night boxing in New York,” said Kavanaugh.”

As specified by Kavanaugh, Lopez vs. Kambosos Jr. will be available for purchase through FITE for $19.99. Or, if fans aren’t too pleased with dishing out that sort of cash, they’ll have the secondary option of seeing the fight through a monthly Triller subscription plan of $2.99.

Over the past few months, their showdown has suffered through numerous starts and stops. Originally, the plan was for Lopez to take on Kambosos Jr. in Miami Florida on June 5th. They then choose to move off the date entirely due to the high-profile mega event between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Logan Paul.

Once their contest was rescheduled, they ran into another issue, as Lopez tested positive for COVID-19. With the two now on the verge of facing off, Lopez will look to begin his reign as a unified champion.

The pugnacious knockout artist, added both the WBA and WBO titles, as well as the ever confusing WBC “Franchise” title to his collection with a win over Vasyl Lomachenko late last year. Kambosos Jr., 28, worked his way to the number one ranking in the IBF sanctioning body due to a split decision win over former titlist, Lee Selby in October of 2020.

More Headlines

Teofimo Lopez On George Kambosos Jr.: “It Won’t Go Past Three”

Posted on 04/14/2021

By: Hans Themistode

Teofimo Lopez thoroughly enjoyed stripping Vasiliy Lomachenko of all his world titles this past October. The two faced off with all of the lightweight marbles on the line in the Bubble at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Despite being a heavy underdog, Lopez walked away with a close but clear unanimous decision victory. While it was the biggest win of his career, Lopez has now put that victory behind him as he prepares to take on mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr.

Considering the Australian native’s lack of experience at the elite level, most of the boxing world believes Lopez will walk right through his man. Although Lopez does believe he’ll win, he has a feeling that Kambosos Jr. is going to bring it from the opening bell.

“I think that he’s a strong fighter, a hungry fighter,” explained Lopez during an interview with Fight Hub TV. “Someone that’s going to want to come in aggressive. It’s going to be a good fight. It’s going to be one of those fights that maybe is toe to toe.”

In the opinion of Teofimo Lopez Sr., father and trainer of Lopez, he believes his son won’t have any trouble at all. Always ready to back his loquacious father, Lopez sided with his old man and his prediction. Not only is the current undisputed lightweight champion under the belief that he’ll take Kambosos Jr. out early, he might be willing to put his money where his mouth is.

“I agree with him. It won’t go past three. I’m even thinking of putting money on it.”

For anyone else, predicting a knockout win could place an enormous amount of pressure on their shoulders. In the case of Lopez, he views things entirely differently. With his contest against Lomachenko viewed as his finest hour as a pro, the Brooklyn, New York native believes he’ll be even better this time around.

“I’m a lot sharper and I had more time. In the Loma camp, we only had seven weeks, in this camp, we have nine. It’s better preparation.”

More Headlines

George Kambosos Jr. On Devin Haney: “I’ll Bet You When He Looks At Himself In The mirror, He Knows That He Didn’t Earn That Belt”

Posted on 04/10/2021

By: Hans Themistode

When Teofimo Lopez did the unthinkable by defeating Vasiliy Lomachenko in October of 2020, most of the boxing world viewed him as the undisputed lightweight champion. As of late, however, Lopez is being regarded as a unified champion instead. When Lopez upset the odds against the Ukrainian, his IBF title – along with Lomachenko’s WBA, WBO and WBC “Franchise” belt was on the line.

While Mauricio Sulaiman, President of the WBC has come out and said that Lopez is, in fact, the undisputed champion, he has also contradicted himself on numerous occasions as he admits Devin Haney is the WBC full champion.

Despite the ever confusing situation in the lightweight division, 135-pound contender George Kambosos Jr. is firmly behind Lopez. In the Australian’s opinion, Haney can scream until he’s blue in the face all he wants, unless he goes into the ring and actually defeats Teofimo Lopez, Kambosos Jr. will view his title reign as a fraudulent one.

“He (Lopez) is the undisputed champion,” said Kambosos Jr. during an interview with Fight Hub TV. “He has every single belt. When we fight it’ll be for every single belt. Lomachenko had the WBC belt, obviously, they decided to make a franchise title which is like a super title, a super belt, just like the WBA has. He moved on to that title but he (Lopez) beat the guy who was the WBC champ, Lomachenko.”

Although Haney claims that he wanted to earn his world title by facing Lomachenko as opposed to it being handed to him, Kambosos Jr. believes the Las Vegas resident took the easy way out.

“Devin Haney never fought for the title, never won the belt properly. He was interim champion or silver champion whatever he was. Then, all of sudden he got an email, or a Gmail, or a Yahoo mail or whatever you want to call it and he became a world champion. If that was me, I would’ve put the email in spam and I ain’t accepting it, I like to earn things. Even if I don’t become a world champion, I would rather know that I gave it my all and no one gave it to me.”

Currently, Kambosos Jr. is in the midst of training camp as he prepares to take on Lopez sometime this coming summer. The supremely confident undefeated contender wants to be addressed as the undisputed champion if he hands Lopez the first defeat of his career.

Win, lose or draw – Kambosos Jr. is very comfortable with the man he’ll be staring at when he looks in the mirror. As for Haney, Kambosos Jr. doesn’t believe he can say the same.

“Devin Haney is parading different. He thinks he’s the full champion but I’ll bet you when he looks at himself in the mirror, he knows that he didn’t earn that belt.”

More Headlines

George Kambosos Jr. On Teofimo Lopez: “I Think He Fears Me”

Posted on 03/28/2021

By: Hans Themistode

Teofimo Lopez is as confident as they come. Or at least, that’s what it seems.

Going into his contest against Richard Commey on December 14th, 2019, there were plenty in the boxing world who believed the then 21-year-old was biting off more than he could chew against the IBF lightweight belt holder. Lopez though, warned his doubters that Commey’s night would end in dramatic fashion.

With a second-round stoppage win, Lopez did exactly that.

Lopez (16-0, 12 KOs) immediately matched up with pound-for-pound star Vasiliy Lomachenko. Again, Lopez shrugged off his nonbelievers as he took home the unanimous decision victory and numerous world titles.

For the first time in roughly two years, the Brooklyn, New York native will head into a contest as the overwhelming favorite when he takes on mandatory challenger George Kambosos Jr. Although both Lopez and his father are exuding confidence, Kambosos Jr. believes its nothing more than a charade.

“I think he fears me,” said Kambosos Jr. during an interview with FightHype. “No one has ever stepped to him and said you know what? I don’t fear you.”

Kambosos Jr., 27, has spent the past few years working his way from the ground up. The Australian native has reeled off 19 straight wins, including back-to-back close decision victories against former titleholders Mickey Bey and Lee Selby.

As Kambosos Jr. (19-0, 10 KOs) scrolls down the names plastered on the resume of Lopez, he isn’t exactly impressed with what he sees. While he believes the unified lightweight titlist has faced a long list of great fighters, when he juxtaposes their skillset to his own, he is firmly convinced that what he brings to the table is unlike anything Lopez has ever faced before. And that in turn has the normally confident 23-year-old doubting himself altogether.

“No one has ever been as fast I am fighting him. No one has the hunger that I have, the willpower that I have. I believe it’s a bit of fear there in his eyes.”

More Headlines