Listen Now:  

Jaron “Boots” Ennis Thrills Fans for 20th Straight Win Friday

Posted on 06/02/2018

By: Ken Hissner

Philadelphia’s welterweight sensation Jaron “Boots” Ennis stopped “Mighty” Mike Arnaoutis in 2 rounds for his 20th straight win at the Showboat Hotel & Casino Friday in Atlantic City, NJ.

In the Main Event Philadelphia’s Jaron “Boots” Ennis, 20-0 (18), stopped Greece’s southpaw “Mighty” Mike Arnaoutis, 26-11-2 (13), at 2:59 of the second round for the WBU Welterweight title in a scheduled 10 rounds.

Both boxers came out southpaw with Ennis firing punches and dominating Arnaoutis who seemed bewildered having no answer for the 20 year-old Ennis.

In the second round Ennis came out orthodox and it looked like he was enjoying himself thrilling the many fans in the crowd wearing T-shirts with his name on it and the rest of the crowd. A straight left put Arnaoutis into a squatting position as Referee Alan Huggins registered an 8 count. Ennis jumped on him with a flurry of punches dropping Arnaoutis in the corner of Ennis. Again an 8 count was registered and it seemed pointless that the Referee didn’t wave it off at that time. Again Ennis was all over Arnaoutis whose corner stood there with a white towel but never threw it in the ring so the referee finally waved it off at 2:59 of the second round.

Afterwards Showtime’s Barry Tompkins and Steve Farhood were talking to the young Ennis’ father-trainer “Bozy” Ennis and matchmaker Chris Middendorf. Ennis must have taken pictures for some 20 minutes with his many fans afterwards. It was great to see one of them with the younger Ennis between his two brothers, former boxers “Pooh” and Farah. “I went into there wanting to have fun and I did,” said Ennis. He made it look so easy!

“Arnaoutis told me your son is a future champion,” said “Bozy” Ennis. He added “He took his time and was magnificent in there”. The “architect” Middendorf seemed quite pleased to see this tremendous talent from Philadelphia win his 20th straight, 18 by knockout in just 26 months. He has been the No. 1 contender in the USBA with none of the remaining contenders willing to step in the ring with him for the vacant title. So Middendorf arranged for the WBU Welterweight Title to be on the line.

In the Co-feature Chris “Sandman” Thomas, 9-0-1 (6), of Tom Rivers, NJ, blew through Darryl Bunting, 3-4-2 (1), of Asbury Park, NJ, at 1:06 of the third round of a scheduled 8 rounds for the NJ State Middleweight Title.

In the first round with plenty of screaming fans behind Thomas Bunting came forward running into a countering Thomas going for an early knockout. Thomas rocked Bunting with a right to the chin. He followed up with a combination dropping him for an 8 count from Referee Dock. Bunting was saved by the bell. In the second round Thomas landed a pair of right hands to the head of Bunting. A wild right to the chin from Thomas put Bunting against the ropes.

In the third round Thomas ended it with a flurry of punches causing Referee Dock to wave it off to the delight of Thomas’ many fans.

Former NJ Heavyweight Champion southpaw Dan Pasciolla, 9-4-3 (0), of Brick, NJ, lost a disputed 8 round split decision to Quian “Silverback” Davis, 5-0-2 (2), of Mays Landing, NJ, for the vacant NJ Heavyweight title.

In the first round Davis landed the first punch a right to the chin of Pasciolla. Shortly later Pasciolla landed a left, right combination to the head of Davis. Pasciolla landed a flurry of punch having Davis against the ropes. In the second round Pasciolla had Davis against the ropes. Seconds later Pasciolla landed a combination buckling the knees of Davis. Pasciolla was too busy for Davis putting him against the ropes just prior to the bell.

In the third round Davis landed a right uppercut to the body of Pasciolla. Pasciolla landed a flurry of punches pinning Davis against the ropes. Pasciolla walked into a Davis right uppercut. Pasciolla landed a short left to the chin of Davis at the bell. In the fourth round Davis landed a lead right on the chin of southpaw Pasciolla. Pasciolla came back with half a dozen unanswered punches to the body and head of Davis. From out of the corner Davis landed a short right to the chin of Pasciolla who countered with a combination making Davis clinch.

In the fifth round Davis went to the body of Pasciolla in the middle of the ring. A Davis lead right to the chin rocked Pasciolla. In the sixth round Pasciolla landed half a dozen unanswered punches to the head of Davis who was again against the ropes. Davis came back seconds later with a good body shot stopping Pasciolla in his tracks.

In the seventh round Davis landed a straight right to the chin of Pasciolla. Davis came back with a 3-punch combination to the body of Pasciolla. At the bell both fighters were still punching one another. In the eighth and final round with the title on the line a near exhausted Davis tries for the one shot but was completely dominated by Pasciolla. The Referee was Harvey Dock.

Judge Bennett scored 77-75 Pasciolla, Carter 78-74 and Barnes 77-75 for Davis. This writer had it 79-73 Pasciolla.

Russian Welterweight Yurik “Don’t Be Sorry Be Carefull” Mamedov, 10-1 (3), of Brooklyn, NY, won a lopsided 8 round decision over southpaw Kashon Hutchinson, 3-5 (1), of Reading, PA.

In the first round Mamedov kept the pressure on Hutchinson with a good body attack. Mamedov was warned for hitting behind the head by Referee Dock including a punch after the bell. In the second and third rounds Mamedov kept coming forward with Hutchinson countering mostly off the ropes. Mamedov kept up the pressure mainly to the body as Hutchinson returned fire but couldn’t keep Mamedov off of him with Mamedov getting a second warning for hitting behind the head by Referee Dock.

In the fourth and fifth rounds Mamedov kept up the pressure wearing down Hutchinson. Hutchinson tried boxing Mamedov but didn’t have enough power to hold him off. Mamedov drove Hutchinson across the ring with no return. Mamedov ended the fifth round with a solid right to the chin of Hutchinson.

In the sixth round Mamedov chased and caught Hutchinson driving him to the ropes throughout the round. Mamedov ended the round rocking Hutchinson who complained of a late blow to Referee Dock. In the seventh round Hutchinson lost a point for holding. Mamedov kept up the pressure as a near exhausted Hutchinson barely got through the round. In the eighth and final round Hutchinson was looking to survive as Mamedov kept out working him looking for the knockout. Hutchinson was able to last out the round.

Judge Bennett had it 79-72 while judges Carter and Barnes had it 80-71 as did this writer.

Atlantic City’s Joel De La Paz, 8-1 (4), won a close decision over Willis “The Prophet” Lockett, 16-23-5 (5), of Takoma Park, MD, over 6 rounds.

In the first round Lockett used a jab but was countered well by De La Paz to the head. At the bell De La Paz rocked Lockett with a straight right to the chin. In the second round Lockett kept a busy jab mostly to the body of De La Paz who was content to load up with a limited amount of counter punching.

In the third round Lockett put more behind his punches with a solid body attack and an occasional left hook to the head of De La Paz who throws one punch at a time sparingly. In the fourth round Lockett kept coming forward out working De La Paz who landed several left hooks by not enough to keep Lockett at bay.

In the fifth round De La Paz did more posing than throwing as Lockett kept busy to the body. De La Paz with hands to his side kept moving away from Lockett who did his best to catch up to the fleeting De La Paz. In the sixth and final round De La Paz landed a 3-punch combination to the head and body of Lockett who kept pressuring him with body work.

Judge Barnes 60-54, Bennett 58-56 and Carter 57-57 as did this writer.

In the opening bout Camden, NJ, Welterweight Vidal Rivera, 8-0 (5), kept unbeaten knocking out Jose Ramos, 11-14-1 (8), of Tijuana, MEX, at 2:37 of the second round, of a scheduled 6.

In the first round Ramos was the aggressor while Rivera dealt out a good body attack. Referee Mary Glover called a slip due to a low blow against Ramos. In the second round Rivera continued a vicious body attack whole moving around Ramos. Even off the ropes Rivera pounded Ramos with a right to the head and a left hook to the body dropping him for the count.

Philly southpaw Super Featherweight Donald “No Love” Smith, 7-0 (4), knocked out Deo Kizito, 2-1-1 (1), of Rubage, Uganda, at 1:21 of the second round.

In the first round Smith came out landing a short left to the head driving Kizito back several feet. The taller Smith dominated the round with his jab as Kizito kept trying to duck under it with little success. In the second round a right hook from Smith dropped Kizito who tried beating the count of Referee Glover but failed. Smith continued to have a vocal group of fans behind him.

Philly Heavyweight Darmani Rock, 11-0 (7), Maurice Harris, 26-21-3, of Newark, NJ,

North Philly Bad Lands Super Bantamweight Angel “Pretty Boy” Pizarro, 4-0 (3), knocked out Terrance “Trigger Man” Moore, 0-3, of Wilson, NC, at 1:38 of the first round of a scheduled 4.

In the first round Moore came charging out after Pizarro who evaded most of his rushes countering him well. What looked more like a slip Referee Mary Glover counted as a knockdown when Moore went to the canvas. Moore got up charging Pizarro again as his corner yelled “to the body” and he followed those orders with a chopping right to the head of Moore who hit the canvas for good as Referee Glover counted him out.

In attendance were former Cruiserweight Champion Al “Ice” Cole, No. 1 Super Middleweight contender Jesse “Hollywood” Hart and former contender Hector “Macho” Camacho, Jr. Ring Announcer was Mark Fratto. Thomas “Cornflake” LaManna it was announced will be back in action possibly on August 18th in Atlantic City. He is the son of the promoter Debra LaManna.

Leave a Comment

More Headlines

Listen to my podcast


Established in 1997 as a premier boxing destination. The staff of love hearing from people all over the world.



Send this to a friend