HBO Boxing After Dark Results: Broner Solves His Problems
- July 22nd, 2012
By: William Holmes
You win some, you lose some.
Often pundits like to look at boxers when they weigh in to see how seriously they took their upcoming bout, to see if they’re in shape or not for the impending battle.
Adrien “The Problem” Broner caused problems on Friday when he showed up overweight, and compounded them when he showed up far heavier on Saturday morning. HBO had to guarantee double the original guaranteed purse for Vicente Escobedo to participate on Saturday night.
Even though Broner came in 3.5 pounds overweight for the original weigh in the night prior to the fight, and still failed to come in under the 130 pound limit the day of the fight, Golden Boy Promotions was able to convince Escobedo to come to the ring after a day of frantic negotiations.
In retrospect, it was a big mistake on the part of Escobedo to take a fight against an opponent who failed to make weight by 3.5 lbs.
The first bout of the night was between Keith Thurman (18-0) and Orlando Lora (29-3-2) in the Welterweight division.
David Haye lookalike Thurman controlled the bout from the start. He was able to keep Lora at bay with his powerful combinations and had him retreating for the majority of the bout. Lora ate many hard shots, and was eventually dropped in the sixth round, but was able to beat the count. However, at that point he decided that discretion is the better part of valor, and dropped out of the bout.
Thurman had little problems disposing of Lora, and is likely ready for a bout against a more well-known opponent.
The main event was between Adrien Broner (23-0) and Vicente Escobedo (26-3) in the Super Featherweight division.
Broner had to give up his WBO super featherweight title before the bout even started due to his weight issues. The belt was still on the line for Escobedo, however.
Broner was lucky that the bout even happened, after twice failing to make weight and making no real effort to do so.
Despite the distractions, however, the unapologetic Broner was easily able to dispatch his overmatched foe on Saturday night.
Escobedo attempted to work the body of Broner, but was unable to get penetrate his defense. Broner appeared to be the bigger, stronger man, and pummelled Esobedo down in a methodical fashion. By the fifth round, Escobedo was cut, and his corner tried to wave off the bout. Initially referee Gary Rosato had his back turned, but finally was able to see Escobedo’s corner and called an end to the bout.
Broner lived up to his colorful reputation and had his girlfriend comb his hair during a fake marriage proposal at the end of the bout.
Even though Broner was overweight for this fight, he looked impressive and his barrage of punches forced Escobedo’s trainer Joel Diaz to climb to the ring and stop the fight in order to protect his fighter.
Escobedo appeared emotionally shaken in an interview with HBO after the bout, following a day of turmoil caused by Broner’s unprofessionalism.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail