Nevada Boxing Hall Of Fame Held its First Event on Mayweather/Guererro Weekend
- May 3rd, 2013
By Jackie Kallen
Two nights before the Mayweather/Guerrero fight, Rich Marotta’s Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame held a “Night With Boxing Legends.” It was a sold out event at Diego’s Restaurant and the room was filled with boxing dignitaries.
For true boxing fans, it was a chance to mingle with names like Oscar De la Hoya, Freddie Roach, Al Bernstein, referee Joe Cortez, former champs Wayne McCullough, Raul Marquez and Mike McCallum.
Each man had a chance to say a few words. Joe Cortez had nothing but love and praise for his fellow referees. He shared some of his favorite memories and answered some questions about his toughest moments in the ring.
Al Bernstein who will be calling the fights on Saturday, was glib and warm, as always. He spoke about his 30 years in the fight business and the love he still has for the sport.
Mike McCallum told the crowd how he got his name “The Body Snatcher” and talked about some of his most memorable fights. There was a large screen set up and some highlights of his career were shown.
Female Filipino boxing sensation Ana Julaton was effusive in her compliments for Freddie Roach. She trained under his tutelage and had wonderful things to say about him and his training abilities.
Freddie is always humble and soft-spoken and he said a few words about the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame. He is considered to be among the elite boxing trainers in the sport and he got a solid ovation from the crowd.
All in all, it was a nice event and you could feel the admiration and camaraderie in the room.
Jackie Kallen is a boxing manager who has been in the business for over three decades. Her life inspired the Meg Ryan film “Against the Ropes” and she was a part of the NBC series “The Contender.” www.JackieKallen.com, www.facebook.com/JackieKallen
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Rubin “Hurricane” Carter Dead at Age 76
- Showtime Boxing Results: Hopkins Dominates Shumenov, Quillin and Porter Victorious
- Shobox Boxing Results: Salka Upsets Collado!
- ESPN Boxcino Tournament Results: Monroe and Adams Win to Advance to Finals
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Bernard Hopkins vs. Shumenov, Quillin vs Konecny, Porter vs. Malignaggi
- Oscar De La Hoya Steals The Show During Marcos Maidana’s Media Conference Call
- Peter Quillin Interview: Fighting for Cuban Pride and Respect – Part 2
- King Sports – Debut Boxing Card Results from Santa Monica
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Canelo, Lara, Provodnikov, Hopkins, and more
- Interview with Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin – aiming to be Legendary
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate
- In Praise Of Floyd Mayweather
- Apologies for Doubting Manny Pacquiao – Now Let’s Beat Mayweather
- Pacquiao – Bradley 2: The End Of An Illusion
- Why Pacquiao-Bradley Is A Far Better Matchup Than Mayweather-Maidana
- 5 Reasons Why Tim Bradley Will Beat Manny Pacquiao