Misc: Sergio Martinez Returns, Dmitry Pirog Wants Shot, More


Middleweight champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez signs new deal with DiBella Entertainment

Return to the ring slated for October 1

NEW YORK, NY (June 14, 2011) – On Tuesday afternoon in New York City, WBC Middleweight Diamond Champion and universally recognized top-3 pound for pound fighter, Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) signed a new multiyear, multimillion dollar deal that will keep his promotional interest with DiBella Entertainment (“DBE”) for the foreseeable future.

“This is an important day for DiBella Entertainment,” said DiBella. “Sergio Martinez has proved in his recent run of fights that is no challenge he fears and that there is no challenge he cannot conquer. Together, we will look to make the biggest fights against the biggest names in boxing and we won’t stop until ‘Maravilla’ is universally recognized as, pound for pound, the best in boxing.”

Martinez, 36, originally linked up with DBE in 2007 and has gone 7-1-1 over the span. The only blemishes on his record during that time were a close decision loss to Paul Williams in a fight widely heralded as the 2009 Fight of the Yea and a universally criticized draw versus former champion Kermit Cintron in 2009 in a bout where most people thought Martinez should’ve been awarded a knockout in round seven and then had done more than enough to win after 12 rounds.

After a victory over Kelly Pavlik in win the middleweight crowd in April, 2010 and a stirring second round knockout to avenge his loss to Williams in November, Martinez was named the 2010 Fighter of the Year.

Martinez began 2011 in a big way in March, stopping previously unbeaten Sergiy Dzinziruk in eight rounds.

“I’ve never had any doubt that DiBella Entertainment is the best promoter in boxing,” said Martinez. “I have no doubt that we will continue to do great things together. This is exactly what I wanted.”

Also in attendance at the signing, which took place at a local stationary store just a few blocks from DBE’s midtown headquarters, was Martinez’s longtime adviser, Sampson Lewkowicz.

“This is about finishing what we started,” said Lewkowicz. “I believe that in Sergio Martinez t we have a grand champion who is the best fighter in the world.’’

Martinez is scheduled to return to the ring October 1 on HBO against European middleweight champion Darren Barker (23-0, 14 KOs).

DMITRY PIROG WANTS TO FIGHT THE BEST – AND THAT INCLUDES SERGIO MARTINEZ

Banner Promotions President Art Pelullo said, “I understand that Sergio Martinez is going to be fighting Darren Barker on October 1. I have known Lou DiBella, Martinez’ promoter, for over 20 years and we are personal friends. I have been in the fight business for over 25 years and I know how the business works.

“The Martinez camp never spoke to me about Dmitry Pirog. Clearly, they have no interest in the fight because it is a very dangerous fight for Martinez.

“I have been trying to make the Martinez fight for over nine months. I have talked to Lou, I have talked to Kery Davis, and I sent several emails to Ross Greenburg and Kery Davis about the fight.

“Dmitry is one of the top three middleweights in the world and had a spectacular knockout victory over Danny Jacobs last July to win the WBO middleweight world title. It seems like he’s being punished for winning.

“I have consistently told HBO over the last 11 months that Dmitry is ready, willing and able right now to fight anybody – incuding Sergio Martinez. We are quite sincere. Dmitry wants to come to America and fight the best fighters in the world.”

Cohen: There is No Doubt Trout is the Real Thing

Greg Cohen, promoter of undefeated WBA Light Middleweight champion Austin “No Doubt” Trout (23-0, 13 KOs) wishes to congratulate Trout for his unanimous decision over David “The Destroyer” Lopez on Saturday, June 11 at the Auditorio Miguel Barragan in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

Defending his title for the first time, Trout controlled the action against the formidable Lopez (40-12, 23 KOs), even dropping him in round eleven, to win by scores of 119-109, 117-110 and 118-109.

“David Lopez is a guy everyone had avoided,” said an elated Cohen, post-fight. “He hadn’t lost in 16 fights, spanning more than six years and Austin just walked into his backyard, with a packed house rooting against him, and dominated. Austin Trout belongs at the top of the list of the world’s best junior middleweights, period end of story.”

25-year-old Trout, a native of Las Cruces, New Mexico, was able to out-speed Lopez and stifle his pressure tactics with sharp combinations and excellent movement.

“It’s going to be very hard for the powers that be to ignore Austin after this performance,” continued Cohen. “Austin is already a seasoned champion who can walk into the most feared fighters in the world’s backyards and beat them convincingly. Lopez was definitely here to win tonight; Austin also showed he can take a punch when he has to. I could not be more proud of his performance.”

Cohen says he will sit down this week with Trout’s representatives about the next step, but unification showdowns with fellow 154-lb champions Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez, or former multi division World Champion Anthony Mundine are the first priority.

NABA Lightweight Champion Logan Cotton McGuinness headlines ‘Friday Night At The Fights’ Troy Ross returns for June 24 show in Ontario, Canada

NABA Lightweight Champion Logan Cotton McGuinness defends his title for the first time June 24th in the 10-round main event against Daniel “Canerito” Ruiz, headlining “Friday Night At The Fights,” at Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

The “Friday Night At the Fights” show is presented by United Boxing Promotions, in association with McGuiness’ promoter, Hennessy Sports, and Groupe Yvon Michel.

Hot, unbeaten prospect McGuinness (14-0-1, 7 KOs), rated No. 11 by the WBA, will be fighting at home where he won the NABA belt this past February, stopping veteran Hector Julio Avila (47-5) in the fourth round.

The only blemish on Cotton’s otherwise perfect pro record is a six-round draw 13 months ago with dangerous Walter Estrada, who holds victories against former world champion Nate Campbell and Verquan Kimbrough.

Ruiz (22-3-1, 16 KOs) will be fighting outside of his native Mexico for the first time. He is undefeated in his last five fights with four wins and a draw. He is the former Mexican Pacific Coast Featherweight Champion.

Two-time Canadian Olympian and world title cruiserweight challenger, Troy Ross (24-2, 16 KOs), fights an opponent to soon be determined in an eight-round Special Feature. Ross is the top-rated IBF contender at No. 3 (#1 and #2 are not rated), as well as ranked No. 5 by The Ring magazine, No. 14 by the WBA, and No. 15 by the WBC.

Go on line at www.HennessySports.com for more information about McGuinness’ June 24th title defense.

Tickets to “Friday Night at the Fights,” starting at $30.00, may be purchased at the Hershey Centre box office, through Ticket Master by dialing 416-872-5000, or by going on line to ticketmaster.ca.

World Cruiserweight Contender Troy Ross added to June 24 show in Canada

World cruiserweight contender Troy Ross has been added to the “Friday Night At The Fights” professional boxing card, June 24 at Hershey Centre in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.

“Friday Night At The Fights” is being presented by United Boxing Promotions in association with Hennessy Sports and Groupe Yvon Michel.

Ross is the top-rated IBF contender at No. 3 (#1 and #2 are not rated), as well as ranked No. 5 by The Ring magazine, No. 14 by the WBA, and No. 15 by the WBC. The two-time Canadian Olympian will face an opponent to be determined June 24 in a eight-round bout. Troy wants a rematch with IBF champion Steve Cunningham and he also has issued a challenge to unbeaten Lateef Kayode for a major showdown later this summer.

“I can’t wait to get back in action,” Ross said. “I’m trying to force (IBF champion Steve) Cunningham into a rematch. I dropped him and should have won that fight by technical decision because he thumbed me in the eye and the fight was stopped (cut eyelid) because of that. I’m fighting June 24th to get sharp for Cunningham, Kayode or any of the top 10 fighters I may fight this year on my way to winning a world title.”

A native of Guyana who lives in Toronto, Ross (24-2, 16 KOs) was a member of the 1996 and 2000 Canadian Olympic Teams, and winner of The Contender, Season Four reality television series.

Ross’ most notable wins to date have been against former NABF/USBA champion Felix Cora, Jr. (TKO1), Ehino Ehikamenor (TKO4), David Haye-conquerer (as an amateur) Michael Simms (DEC10), Akinyemi Laleye (DEC5), and Brazilian Olympian Daniel Bispo (KO1). Troy’s last fight was a win by unanimous 10-round decision over Carl Handy (24-7-2) this past October.

Tickets to “Friday Night at the Fights,” starting at $30.00, may be purchased at the Hershey Centre box office, through Ticket Master by dialing 416-872-5000, or by going on line to ticketmaster.ca.

Leave a Comment

More Headlines