Dereck Chisora Reinstated by the BBBoC
By Johnny Walker
UK heavyweight boxer Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora has had his boxing license restored by the British Boxing Board of Control, a year after his press conference brawl with fellow Brit David Haye in Munich, Germany, caused his suspension from the ring.
Chisora, 29, who is slated to fight on a Frank Warren card at Wembley Arena in London on April 20, went on to lose by knockout to Haye in a highly publicized “grudge bout” in London last July. In that bout, the fighters boxed with licenses obtained in Luxembourg.
Robert Smith, chairman of the BBBoC, commented: “It has been a year since Dereck was in trouble and since then there have been no further problems with his behavior.
“Obviously we didn’t take lightly what happened [with Haye], but he and his manager, Frank Warren, put forward a decent case for him getting his license back and we have agreed.
“It goes without saying, though, that this is his last chance,” warned Smith.
As for Chisora, the eccentric fighter expressed relief that his suspension had been lifted.
“I’m glad that this whole episode is finally behind me and I can carry on with my boxing career in my own country and with a British Boxing Board of Control license,” said “Del Boy.”
“I would like to thank everyone who has kept faith me over the troubled months and I look forward to repaying their loyalty with my performances in the ring as opposed to my action outside of it. I’d like to particularly thank the Luxembourg Boxing Federation for their support.”
Chisora’s promoter, Frank Warren, says that he still has big plans for the heavyweight, and that the identity of Chisora’s opponent on April 20 will be made known shortly.