Olympic Light Welterweights: Vasyl Lomachenko Wins Second Gold; Will He Get Barker Trophy?
- August 12th, 2012
Vasyl Lomachenko realized what many ringside observers predicted he would, winning the Olympic gold medal in the lightweight division with a 19-9 decision over Soon-Chul Han at the ExCel Arena in London.
Lomachenko, who hails from the Ukraine, had defeated, with a bit of difficulty, the troublesome southpaw Yasniel Toledo Lopez in the semifinals, while Han beat Evaldas Petrauskas of Lithuania in the other semifinal.
Lomachenko set the pace right from the start, taking it by a score of 7-2 on the judges’ cards, and had Han playing catch-up from there, which was too tall an order. Going into the final round, Han was six points down, and there was very little except a knockout that was going to save him.
Instead, Lomachenko put an exclamation point on his performance with an 8-4 edge in the final stanza to seal the double-digit win and stamp Lomachenko as a favorite to be named outstanding boxer for the second straight Olympics.
Known as perhaps the best pound-for-pound boxer in the men’s side of amateur boxing, Lomachenko won the 2008 Olympics in the featherweight class and did so well that he was given the Val Barker Trophy as the outstanding boxer in the Games. He outscored the four boxers who went the distance with him in that ’08 tournament by a cumulative margin of 49-12.
This time it wasn’t as decisive, although Lomachenko was never in any serious trouble. He won his four bouts by a total of 62-32 in storming to a gold in his second weight division.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail