Miguel Cotto vs Sergio Martinez: A Feud Heating Up?
- September 28th, 2012
By Johnny Walker
After his thrilling victory over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in which he almost threw away what had been a whitewash win during the seismic final two rounds, newly re-crowned middleweight kingpin Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez seems to have set his sights on a new target: veteran light middleweight contender Miguel Angel Cotto.
Martinez, who showed a previously unknown aggressive side to his personality in the lead-up to the Chavez fight, recently gave an interview in which he said that aside from a rematch with Chavez, he’d also like to fight Miguel Cotto for the simple reason that he finds Cotto “strange” and “does not like him.”
Cotto, as one might expect, has reacted with a typically measured response, but makes clear his disdain for Martinez as well.
“There is a place and time for everything,” Cotto says.
“Sergio been trying for years to make a fight with Miguel Cotto, he is searching desperately trying to obtain what all of us want: money,” says a riled Cotto.
“He needs to sit down — he just fought — and wait for my turn on December 1 to fight (against Austin Trout). If he really wants the fight for 2013, we will sit down with his team after the fight, we will talk to see what Sergio Martínez has to offer and what benefits fighting him brings to my career. If it really benefits my career, we will choose him as an opponent.”
Cotto was equally cool to the notion put forth by Martinez associate Sampson Lewkovicz that “Maravilla” is willing to forgo his part of the purse for a fight with Cotto, so badly does he want to punish the Puerto Rican.
“If we say no to his offer, it is because even with his purse, he does not meet our financial expectations,” Cotto sniffed.
Stay tuned — this one is just getting started.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Results: Carl Froch Gets His Revenge on Mikkel Kessler
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail