Healthy Hatton Puts On Tremendous Display Of Fitness
In stark contrast to the circulating stories of an illness during training camp, which turned out to be nothing more than a fleeting minor virus, IBO/Ring Light Welterweight World Champion Ricky Hatton extended an open invitation to the British press yesterday to witness a rigorous display of his healthful condition.
There has been no denial from Team Hatton that Ricky picked up a virus for a short period, but he was so far advanced in his training that he was already preparing to cut back.
Boxing and sports aficionados will know that super-fit athletes can easily pick up viruses and Ricky has simply followed medical advice and briefly cut back, but we can confirm that all is well and Ricky is back on course and cleared by his doctor.
This was readily apparent yesterday when Hatton held a open media training session at Billy Graham’s Phoenix Camp Gym in Manchester, England.
“The Hitman” put on a spectacular display of his legendary fitness as he pummeled the bodybag wearing Graham around the ring with tremendous aggression, pressure and endurance.
There is no problem with Ricky as was seen by members of the British press, who witnessed this final media training session today.
The 55,000 ticket holders for Hatton’s showdown with Mexican hard man Juan Lazcano, as well as the legion of Sky Box Office viewers, can expect a vintage Hitman performance at City of Manchester Stadium on Saturday, May 24.
Tony Oakey Ready For Unification Bout
The first half a sporting double for the South Coast city of Portsmouth, England became a reality this weekend at Wembley Stadium when Portsmouth defeated Cardiff City 1-0 to win the FA Cup.
Now, light heavyweight Tony Oakey has to keep his side of the bargain by keeping his British title when he meets Commonwealth champion Dean Francis on Friday, June 13 at Portsmouth’s Mountbatten Sports Centre.
Oakey will make a personal plea with the Portsmouth football club to have the FA Cup on show on June 13 to give him extra incentive to beat Francis. The atmosphere at the Mountbatten Centre will be as electrifying as it was in Wembley Stadium when Portsmouth turned back Cardiff City with both fighters being propelled on by their vocal supporters.
This is Oakey’s first appearance in his hometown in over three years and the 32 year old will be looking to erase the memory of a disastrous night at the Mountbatten Center in 2003 when he lost his WBU title to Matthew Barney.
Oakey’s career went into freefall following the Barney fight but the Portsmouth man has since regrouped, rebuilding his career under trainer Johnny Eames while re-signing with his former manager, now promoter, Frank Maloney.
Oakey’s drive and ambition is to add the European belt before the end of 2008 as that is one of the few titles that he has not yet held during his ten year professional career.
“I couldn’t be at Wembley Stadium to watch Portsmouth win the FA Cup due to my training schedule,” said Oakey, 25-2-1 (7). “I also can’t be at Manchester next week to see the homecoming of my friend Ricky Hatton but I’m hoping to have both the FA Cup and Ricky Hatton ringside when I fight on June 13.”
A former European and British champion at super middleweight, Dean Francis, 29-3 (23), remains a very dangerous puncher as he has recently knocked out opponents at both cruiserweight and light heavy.
“I intend to put Oakey into retirement”, said Francis. “I will show the British boxing public that this is the second coming of my career.”
Frank Maloney Promotions presents the British and Commonwealth light heavyweight title fight between champion Tony Oakey and challenger Dean Francis on Friday, June 13 at the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth, England. Tickets are priced at £80 and £40 and are available by logging onto www.frankmaloney.com or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508. Sky Sports will televise.
RESULTS FROM BOSTON
(Freeport Hall in Dorchester, MA)
May 17, 2008 – “Diamonds in the Rough”
(winners on top and in bold)
Tyler Hinkey (3-0-1, 2 KOs), Reno, NV
WDEC4 (40-36, 39-37, 39-37)
Mike Miller (3-11-2, 3KOs), Akron, OH
Edwin Rodriquez (6-0, 5 KOs), Worcester, MA
Anthony Cannon (4-9, 1 KO), Atlanta, GA
Mark DeLuca (5-0, 3 KOs), Whitman, MA
WDEC6 (40-35, 40-35, 40-35)
Anthony Osbourne (7-27-1, 2 KOs)
Jesus Caro (1-0, 1KO), Providence, RI
Levaniel King (0-2), Reidsville, NC
Robert DaLuz (11-11-2, 9 KOs), Jacksonville, FL
WDEC6 (59-55, 59-55, 56-58)
Castulo Gonzalez (9-6, 3 KOs), Lynn, MA
Jose Sanchez (3-0, 1 KO), Providence, RI
WDEC4 (40-36, 40-36, 39-37)
Harvey Phillips (0-5), Cleveland, OH
Promoter: Peter Manfredo, Sr.
JOAN GUZMAN SETS SIGHTS ON WBO 135 POUND CHAMPION NATE CAMPBELL
SAN DIEGO, Calif. (May 15, 2008) – Now that Joan Guzman has vacated his WBO 130 pound title, the undefeated Dominican-born speedster is looking for a challenge at the lightweight level.
“I think Nate Campbell would be a perfect opponent for me,” said Guzman, who is a two-division champion with a record of 28-0 with 17 knockouts. “Nobody wants to fight Nate at 135 pounds and no one wants to fight me at 130 pounds. So let’s just fight each other.”
Guzman, who is promoted by Sycuan Ringside Promotions of San Diego, Calif., might not have to wait long to get his shot at Campbell.
“The WBO has assured Sycuan that Guzman will in fact become the number one contender at 135 pounds,” said Sean Gibbons, matchmaker for Sycuan Ringside Promotions.
“Nate doesn’t have a bunch of options right now. He thinks he’s going to get a shot at Joel Cassameyor, but that fight will never happen. Plain and simple, Nate’s best fight is against Guzman.”
“I’ve always been about fighting the best,” Guzman continued. “If Nate is truly a world champion he will accept the challenge that I have laid out for him.
“Twenty-eight boxers have tired to beat me and they all failed miserably. Nate will be number twenty-nine if he has the guts and courage to fight me.
“I’m ready to fight Nate anytime, any place, anywhere. A lot of boxers are afraid of me, but I sure hope Nate isn’t one of them.”
Guzman, who has won titles at the super bantamweight and super featherweight divisions, made the choice to move up in weight after he grew irritated with Alex Arthur and his promoter, Frank Warren of Sports Network.
Guzman was scheduled to defend his WBO 130 pound title on Saturday, May 3, in Edinburgh, Scotland but the fight was postponed. Although he has been ready to travel to Scotland at a moment’s notice, Warren has not scheduled a new date for the bout.
“My team and I have tried with every good intention to honor our agreement to fight Arthur in Scotland on May 3,” Guzman said. “Frank Warren and his team made every excuse possible to cancel the fight. My team and I decided that it is time for me to make my mark at the 135 pound division and I’m going to start with Nate Campbell.”
Cruiserweight sensation Aaron Williams headlines his first ESPN2 FNF show May 23 “Ring Warriors” at Twin River Events Center, RI
PROVIDENCE (May 14, 2008) – ESPN2 Friday Night Fights (ESPN2 FNF) returns May 23 to Rhode Island as unbeaten prospect “Awesome” Aaron Williams, the future of the cruiserweight division, headlines his first major show on “Ring Warriors,” promoted by Jimmy Burchfield’s Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc. (CES), live from Twin River Events Center in Lincoln.
“Ring Warriors” features some of the hottest, most exciting prospects in the world – potential world champions such as Williams, 2004 U.S. Olympian Jason “Big Six” Estrada and Philadelphia’s exciting super lightweight “Hammerin’” Hank Lundy – along with a grudge match and some great young boxers.
Williams (17-0-1, 12 KOs), living in Las Vegas but making North Providence his second home, was last scene registering a sensational knockout of Andre Purlette (40-3) in the second round of their April 4 fight on the ESPN2 FNF show at Twin River. Williams, 22, takes on Columbian power puncher Jose Luis “Pantera” Herrera (15-4, 15 KOs), who has knocked out each of his 15 victims.
In an 8-round Special Heavyweight Attraction, Providence heavyweight Estrada (12-1, 2 KOs), coming off of an impressive 10-round decision against former NABO/NABA/WBC Continental Americas heavyweight champion Lance “Mount” Whitaker (32-5-1, 27 KOs) headlining the April 4 ESPN2 FNF show, faces Philadelphia knockout specialist Derek “The One Man Riot” Bryant (20-4-1, 17 KOs).
In the chief supporting bout on the stacked undercard, Lundy (10-0-1, 6 KOs) takes on Texas State champion Steve Almaraz (7-0, 4 KOs) in the battle of unbeatens in a six-round bout.
“The action promises to be explosive,” promoter Jimmy Burchfield said. “Fans better not leave their seats during any of these fights. Aaron Williams really is awesome. His devastating knockouts of opponents have been showcased on ESPN, not only on its Friday Night Fights shows, but over and over again on Sports Center. He is a future star; world champion in the making, and he’s made a lot of friends in his two fights at Twin River – incredible first and second knockouts of quality opponents. Aaron will fight anybody and Herrera has 15 knockouts in 15 wins. Jason has already started making noise in the heavyweight division, especially after beating a great fighter like Whitaker so convincingly, on his way to becoming world heavyweight champion someday. His opponent, Bryant, is a typically tough, heavy-handed, very dangerous Philadelphia fighter who has 17 knockouts to his credit.
“Lundy reminds me of a little Vinny Paz, who is one of Hank’s biggest fans. Hank keeps coming forward like Vinny. He’s a very exciting, charismatic young fighter. McCreedy has his Irish fans behind him for his grudge match against always-tough Mayes. Starnino is a very popular fighter in Rhode Island, Camacho can put his opponent’s lights out at any time with either hand, and Beauchamp has been electrifying in his fights. We’re thrilled to bring a great show like this to Twin River and to showcase CES talent again on ESPN2 Friday Night Fights.”
Also on the undercard in a 6-rounder is light heavyweight “Irish” Joey McCreedy (7-2, 5 KOs), who’ll be seeking revenge against “Hurricane” Henry Mayes (7-5-1, 4 KOs), who beat McCreedy in a close decision on April 4.
Unbeaten, crowd-pleasing Johnston (RI) super middleweight Angel Camacho, Jr. (9-0, 4 KOs), the Latino Captain of Team CES, Lynn (MA) flyweight Isander Beauchamp (5-0, 2 KOs), and Italian-American favorite, Providence middleweight Richard “Bobo The Bull” Starnino (8-3-1, 1 KO), are all scheduled to fight opponents to be determined. All bouts and fighters are subject to change.
Tickets for “Ring Warriors” are priced at $25.00, $35.00, $50.00, (Bronze), $65.00 (Silver), $100.00 (Gold) and limited $150.00 (Jimmy’s Platinum Club) and are available to purchase by calling CES (401.724.2253/2254), going on line at www.cesboxing.com or www.twinriver.com, at the Twin River Event Center (100 Twin River Road, Lincoln, RI), or any TicketMaster location. Contact CES (401.724.2253/2254/www.cesboxing.com) or Twin River Events Center (877.82.RIVER/ www.twinriver.com) for more information. Doors open at 6 PM/ET, first bout at 7 PM/ET.
(Twin River has waived its 18+ rule for “Ring Warriors.” Anybody under the age of 18 must be accompanied at all times by an adult and they must enter through the West entrance.)
Yusaf Mack (24-2-2) comeback continues at Light Heavyweight on the 4th of June at the Aviator Sport Arena, Brooklyn, New York taking on Daniel Judah (20-2-3) in a 10 round contest, Daniel the brother of Zab Judah is moving down to Light Heavyweight from Cruiserweight for this fight. Mack is gunning for the top guys in the division after moving up to Light Heavyweight following the problems to make the Super Middleweight limit. On speaking to Yusaf he has said “He called me out earlier in my career and it’s great that we have finally managed to get it on, I am so much stronger at the new weight and my new trainer John Tandy has whipped me into the best shape of my career, I have never felt this good and people are going to see the new me, I am very confident of getting the win and putting on a good show for the fans out there” The event is being televised on ESPN2 Wednesday night fights.
The undercard features Irish born undefeated Light Middleweight James Moore (15-0) who opponent is yet to be announced.
Diferson Legrand vs. TBA 4/6 rounds
Carlos Garcia vs TBA 4
Jose Lozada vs. TBA 4
Anthony Accardi vs. TBA 4
Vachagan Avagyan vs.TBA 4 rounds
The show is being promoted by Tommy Gallagher Promotions and Winky Wright Promotions
Tyson Victor Rates McDermott
“English heavyweight champion John McDermott will be hard to beat”, said British champion Danny Williams yesterday at a London press conference announcing the July 4 bout between the two.
Williams, whose 38 wins include 30 stoppages, defends his belt at Goresbrook Leisure Centre in Dagenham, England following his ninth round stoppage of Scott Gammer in March of last year to reclaim the British title he lost to Michael Sprott four years ago.
However Williams, who beat former undisputed world heavyweight champion Mike Tyson in July, 2004, is not underestimating the new English champ.
“I rate John very highly, he is a very skillful fighter,” Williams said. “This is going to be a very hard fight for me as John McDermott is a tremendously fast fighter. He has so much skill and ability, it is going to be a really tough fight for me.
McDermott is coming off six consecutive victories and most recently demolished dangerous slugger Pele Reid in just two rounds last month to capture the vacant English title.
Promoter Frank Maloney believes the contest is an ideal opportunity for both fighters to take their careers yet another step forward.
“I believe the winner of this will go on to a lot of better things,” Maloney said. “It is a fight that the public want to see and to see if Danny can do the same as he did to Mike Tyson.”
Danny Williams defends his British Heavyweight title against John McDermott on July 4, 2008 at Goresbrook Leisure Centre in Dagenham, England with full undercard support. Tickets go on sale next week.
FIGHTNIGHTATTHETANK.COM TO OFFER BOXING FANS GREATER ACCESS TO INFORMATION ABOUT AMERICAN METAL & IRON FIGHT NIGHT AT THE TANK
Manuel Quezada to Take on Teke Oruh as the Main Event fight on June 5 for the American Metal & Iron Fight Night at the Tank Series
In an effort to give fans greater access to information on the boxers they will see live at HP Pavilion, American Metal & Iron Fight Night at the Tank has added three new sections to Fightnightatthetank.com. The new additions include: podcasts, upcoming boxer’s blogs and downloads. These sections will be housed in promotional boxes featured on the home page below the top stories.
The podcasts section of the website will offer fans access to Al Bernstein’s analysis of all upcoming fights as well as radio interviews and sound bites from media days with fighters.
The boxer’s blog section was added as a way for fans to learn about their fighter on a more personal level. The section will have Q&A from the boxers that are appearing on the upcoming fight card. The blog will be updated weekly leading up to the event. The first installment of our boxer’s blog came from main event fighter Teke Oruh and it went live yesterday.
The download section of our website will let fans download current and archived poster artwork and wallpaper for your computer backgrounds from your favorite fights.
All of these features have been added to the American Metal & Iron Fight Night at the Tank website to enhance the knowledge and accessibility of our fighters to our fans.
The next installment of AM&I Fight Night at the Tank will be held Thursday, June 5 at 7:30 p.m. at HP Pavilion at San Jose. Headlining the card will be heavyweight Manuel Quezada who will take on Teke Oruh in the evening’s main event. Additional undercard bouts to be announced shortly.
Individual tickets can be purchased at the HP Pavilion ticket office, at Ticketmaster ticket centers throughout the Bay Area, online at ticketmaster.com or charge by phone at (408) 998-TIXS, (415) 421-TIXS or (510) 625-TIXS. For more information about season tickets or group discounts call (408) 999-6808 or go to www.fightnightatthetank.com.
KHAN: COME AND KO ME, GOMEZ!
Amir Khan has welcomed Michael Gomez’s claims that he will flatten him when the pair meet at the N.I.A in Birmingham on June 21.
In a recent interview, Gomez said that he would knock-out the 21-year-old British boxing sensation.
Gomez also added that he would pressure Khan from the start – and after seeing out the first four rounds, would step on the gas and inflict an early defeat.
The former British and WBU super-featherweight champion insisted that he would repeat his massive 2003 upset when he stopped Alex Arthur who at the time was unbeaten and on the brink of a world title fight.
But undefeated Khan, who defends his Commonwealth lightweight title for the fourth time, is happy to hear Gomez’s comments.
“I wondered when Gomez would start opening his mouth, and it hasn’t taken long,” said Khan.
“Actually, I want him to say he is going to knock me out because it only makes me want to smash him up even more so I train harder.
“I respect Gomez because of all he’s achieved in his career, and he will be a dangerous opponent when I face him because he’ll be so fired up.
“Of course, I’ve seen his fight with Alex Arthur in 2003 a dozen times or so but that night was five years and he’s five years older and slower now. I’ve got youth, strength and aggression on my side. Gomez can’t keep living off the glory from that fight and relate it to how he is going to beat me.
“To be honest, it suits me down to the ground if Gomez does bring the fight to me because then I can pick him off at will.
“I’ll be too quick and too strong for him – and I’m going to show him that on June 21. I’m going to give him a real beating and don’t be surprised if he retires after it.
“I know that this fight won’t be going the distance, but there’s only one man who is going to win by knockout and that’s me.”
Tickets, priced at £40, £50, £75, £100 and £150, are available from: