POWER SHOTS: Tyson Fury’s Police Scare; Klitschkos Defensive Over Opponents; More…
Power Shots: News and Views on the Heavyweight Division
by Johnny Walker
TYSON FURY VICTIM OF MISTAKEN IDENTITY
Rising Anglo-Irish heavyweight Tyson Fury had some out-of-the-ring excitement this past week when he and his team were picked up on suspicion of armed robbery and murder.
Fury has been training for his upcoming fight with American journeyman Vinny Maddalone at a location on the Holland-Belgium border. He was driving to the camp when he was stopped and surrounded by police.
Fury and his team were taken to the police station, strip-searched and thrown in holding cells.
“Me, my trainer and three more of my team were ordered to stop in my BMW,” Fury says.
“There were eight police shouting and pointing their guns at us.
“The police helicopter was whirring above us as we were ordered to lay face down in the dirt.
“Some guys in a bar had given the police a description of the robbers and apparently it matched us in our X5 BMW.
“I was shocked but I kept calm because I knew we had done nothing wrong.”
Fury says he had a hard time convincing the cops that he is a professional boxer.
“I was standing there in only my underpants telling them I had nothing to do with the robbery. Eventually, after 11 hours they allowed us to leave.
“They apologized but I walked back to the car, thinking it was the strangest thing that has ever happened to me.”
Fury takes on Maddalone at the Hand Arena, Clevedon, Somerset on Saturday 7th July.
CHAUNCY WELLIVER RUN OVER BY A “TANK” – SHERMAN WILLIAMS
Fringe heavyweight contender Chauncy Welliver (53-6-5, 20 KOs) had an 18-fight unbeaten streak ended this week in China when he dropped a majority decision to veteran Sherman “Tank” Williams (35-11-2, 19 KOs).
The scores were 114-114, 115-112 and 119-110.
With the win, Williams–who hadn’t fought since a tilt with Evander Holyfield in January 2011 which ended in a no contest–picks up the WBO China Zone and Asia Pacific heavyweight titles.
THE PRICE ISN’T RIGHT – DAVID PRICE OFF ATLANTIC CITY CARD
Rising heavyweight star David Price of the UK was due to make his professional US debut on July 27 in Atlantic City, but has now been pulled from the card.
On his web site, Price writes: “Due to circumstances outside of my control, I was informed that I’m no longer able to feature on the Atlantic City bill in July. Having fought in the USA as an amateur and trained in LA and Las Vegas on a number of occasions I was looking forward to making my US debut as a professional.”
This is the second time in recent months that plans to bring Price to Atlantic City have fallen through.
The fighter now says he hopes to make it Stateside “sometime in August.”
CHARR FADING AWAY AS VITALI’S NEXT OPPONENT?
Maybe it was a late April Fool’s joke all along. After a wave of negative reaction from his own fans over a report that WBC world heavyweight kingpin Vitali Klitschko was taking on the obscure Manuel Charr for a possible farewell fight in Kiev, it seems that the Klitschko camp is reconsidering the whole matter.
And Vitali himself threw more cold water on the idea this week.
“Indeed [my return is not set], it was reported that my fight will be held at the Olimpiyskiy and that even the opponent was named,” Vitali said.
“I can verify that this information is not true. I did not sign any contracts. When I have specific information, we will immediately assemble a press conference to inform [everyone] about where and when I’m having my next fight.”
Take that, Mr. Charr.
WLAD ON DEFENSIVE OVER SECOND FIGHT WITH TONY THOMPSON
World heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko recently scoffed at the idea of fighting the winner of the upcoming grudge battle between David Haye and Dereck Chisora, saying that such a fight would be redundant as both men have previously lost to a Klitschko brother.
That sounds good, until you remember that the Ukrainian superstar’s next opponent, Tony Thompson, who he takes on in Switzerland on July 7, is also a previous Klitschko victim, having been KO’d by Wladimir in 2008.
Sensitive to criticism over his recent opponents—the last being the overmatched Frenchman Jean Marc Mormeck—Wladimir tried to head off the issue during a statement made before taking questions during a conference call this week.
“One more thing that I want to say, I didn’t choose Tony Thompson to fight,” said the champ.
“I’m forced to fight Tony Thompson, for all the respect I want to give him, he has been fighting his way back to the top to become number one mandatory, in position number one of the IBF.
“So I have to to defend my IBF title and fight him.”
TONY THOMPSON NEEDS AN “DISLIKE” FACEBOOK BUTTON FOR GERMAN SCRIBE
Tony Thompson, meanwhile, was fending off criticism on his Facebook page from a German journalist named Harald Becker, who took issue with Thompson’s statement that he is ready to win the “biggest prize in sports.”
“Don write such shit. I know from your traingscamp in Washington that you out of shape. No balance, no good sparring! You only want to take your check in Switzerland,” writes Becker.
”Harald Becker just because we couldnt do business doesnt mean you have to come talking trash,” replies Thompson.
“You was just at my house telling me how great i was and how much money you could make me we didnt get it done so leave it alone dude when i win dont be up in my face like we buddies soon as you dont get your way you wanna put me down now hows the fake one.”
“Dear Tony,” Becker replies, “I think you know the truth, but you don want to write about it or you don want to hear the truth of your shape.! I am not travelling for such bullshit-fight to switzerland. To see this on TV is enough…”
After more back and forth, Becker finally backs off and instead takes a shot at the Klitschko camp.
“So bye, bye and good luck to the fight…(Wlad Klitschko and his manager Bönte are the bigger assholes in the whole boxbusiness, so beat WK).”Watch Canelo Alvarez Make his return Saturday night against Rocky Fielding only on DAZN!