Bob Arum Rips Nevada State Athletic Commission Over Chavez Jr. Pot Fine: “Damn Right I Smoke It!”
- March 26th, 2013
by Johnny Walker
Famed boxing promoter Bob Arum has launched a scathing attack on the members of the Nevada State Athletic Commission over the hefty fine handed down to his fighter Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. for marijuana use.
“In the almost fifty years I’ve been in boxing, this was the stupidest decision I’ve ever seen an athletic commission come down with,” Arum said of the whopping $900,000 pot penalty (along with a nine-month suspension) given to Chavez when he tested positive ten days out from his 2012 fight with middleweight kingpin Sergio Martinez. Chavez took a pasting from Martinez for the first ten rounds and rallied over the last two to almost pull off the upset.
“The commission didn’t know what it was doing,” a clearly agitated Arum told The Boxing Channel regarding the fine.
“Why should they be imposing any kind of fine on somebody who was smoking [pot] ten days before [the fight] when it’s legal in so many states?” Arum seethes. “I mean, let’s go into this century.”
“Have you smoked it? You’re goddam right you smoke it! Do I smoke it? You’re damn right I smoke it!” said Arum.
According to the promoter, the NSAC has its priorities totally wrong in an era where performance enhancing drugs (which marijuana is certainly not) have become a major issue.
“Let’s be honest, let’s be real,” Arum pleads.
“What they should be looking at is performancing enhancing drugs. Steroids, testosterone, there throw the book at somebody who violates. For smoking pot? Are you out of your mind? It’s a traffic ticket in most places.”
Arum also says he sees political motivations on the part of the NSAC, who he depicts as a group of right-wing Republicans out to get a Mexican national.
“The problem in Nevada is that you have a comission that is a bunch of conservative Republicans that would like to deport any Mexican that lives in Nevada and isn’t a citizen,” Arum charges.
“It’s a hard thing to say, but it’s really true. You can’t believe in your heart that if that was a commission made up of Democrats, particularly liberal Democrats, that they wouldn’t have just laughed at [the pot test] and maybe fined the guy a thousand dollars.
“I really think that Julio Chavez Jr. being a Mexican national allowed [the NSAC] to come down with what is an outrageous type of fine which violates the Nevada constitution and the US constitution.
“There is in both constitutions a prohibition against excessive fines. And they violated it.
“[The fine] is ludicrous, it’s absurd, it’s excessive, and it will be overturned by the courts.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, 50 Cent, and more….
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- Must We Disdain Excitement & Rally to Snore-Mongering Guillermo Rigondeaux?
- WBC Should Sanction an Interim Champion; Vitali Klitschko has Bigger Fights Ahead
- Boxing’s Biggest Battle: HBO vs Showtime
- Adrien Broner and the Anatomy of Creating a Superstar
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself