Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- May 17th, 2013
Earlier this afternoon WBA World Heavyweight Champion Alexander Povetkin (26-0, 18 KO) kept his unblemished record in tact and retained his belt while handing challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk (27-1, 13 KO) the first loss of his career.
Povetkin went to work in front of his hometown fans and outworked the Polish fighter through the first three rounds of the fight, dropping him three times leading up to the stoppage. Going into this bout there was some talk about Wawrzyk being a dangerous opponent who may derail Povetkin from battling heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko to unify their belts, but Povetkin went out and did what he had to do.
Almost immediately following Povetkin’s win did promoters announce that a date was set for the heavyweight showdown against Klitschko to take place. The fight is currently scheduled to take place October 5 of this year in Moscow.
Wladimir Klitschko (60-3, 51 KO) made easy work of Francisco Pianeta earlier this month, stopping the Italian fighter in the sixth round of the one-sided fight. He has dismissed of countless heavyweight challengers and former champions into securing himself as the current IBO/WBO/WBA/IBF champion, and has not suffered a defeat since 2004.
Povetkin has been asking for this fight against Klitschko, and much like others who have battled ‘Dr. Steelhammer’, is confident he has the recipe for success against the towering Ukrainian.
October 5 Alexander will face the toughest test of his career when he vies for the unified heavyweight titles in front of his Russian fans.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- HBO Boxing Results: Stevenson and Kovalev Win by Knockout, Again…..
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself
- Top Rank Will Kiss Off HBO to Get Floyd Mayweather Deal with Manny Pacquiao
- Froch-Groves: Miscellaneous Musings in the Aftermath of a Masterclass
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather takes his promotion company on the road
- Ex-Lightweight Anthony Fletcher Entombed Live for Want of ‘Hook’