Tag Archives: Guerreo

Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Mayweather, Bute, Guerreo, Harrison, LaManna, and more..


Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Mayweather, Bute, Guerreo, Harrison, LaManna, and more..
By: William Holmes

The following is the Boxing Insider notebook for the week of August 9th to August 16th, covering the comings and goings in the sport of boxing that you might have missed.

Pacquiao vs. Vargas Official for November 5th

Manny Pacquiao has made it official; he will be fighting Jessie Vargas on November 5th at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Bob Arum confirmed the fight announcement to ESPN after meeting with Pacquiao and Michael Koncz in the Philippines to go over the details.

Terence Crawford was in the running to be Pacquiao’s next opponent, but Vargas won out despite being the lesser draw.

Vargas is coming off of a ninth round knockout of Sadam Ali.

TMZ Sports Reports One of Floyd Mayweather’s Bodyguards Accused of Battery

One of Floyd Mayweather’s gigantic bodyguards has been accused of roughing up a restaurant patron during a heated altercation over the weekend — and it all culminated in a citizen’s arrest.

TMZ Sports has learned … Mayweather and his security team hit up Hot N Juicy Crawfish in Vegas on Sunday afternoon.

Sources tell them … a verbal altercation broke out between Mayweather’s team and a male/female couple at a nearby table, who were teasing Floyd that they were Pacquiao fans.

We’re told things escalated when the couple whipped out their cell phones and began shooting video of Floyd’s crew.

The couple claims a bodyguard, who goes by the name Big Pat, grabbed their phone away and wouldn’t give it back … and pushed the man in the process.

The Henderson PD confirms they were called to the scene and the alleged victim told them he wanted to make a citizen’s arrest … which essentially means he wants to press charges for battery.

Cops are investigating. Big Pat has not been charged with a crime and Mayweather’s camp is not commenting.

Read More at http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/10/floyd-mayweather-bodyguard-battery-citizens-arrest/

Bute Claims He’s the Victim of a Tainted Supplement

Former world champion Lucian Bute learned late yesterday afternoon that the test of his “B” sample was positive, as was his “A” sample, which was no surprise and these findings were welcomed by Lucian and his team.

When the initial announcement of the positive result revealed Ostarine, Lucian didn’t understand what could have happened, hence his disbelief of the situation yet hope regarding test results of his sample “B”. At that time it was announced extensive research would be conducted to find out what really happened. Today, more than ever, Lucian says he never knowingly used illegal products during his illustrious career in professional boxing.

To assist in his search for truth, Lucian retained the services of a Los Angeles-based lawyer, Howard Jacobs, who requested all nutritious supplement products used by Bute during in his training camp for the fight against Badou Jack.

KorvalLabs, an accredited laboratory in California specializing in sport, was mandated to carry out all of the analyzes, and results were obtained Monday.

However, analysis of a product named Dynamita recovery, made by Pharmagenic laboratory in San Diego, California, contained traces of contamination, Ostarine.

The supplement formula prescribed by physical trainer Angel Heredia (see photos) had to be perfectly free of all illegal substances in its composition, meaning, unfortunately, it had been contaminated during preparation of this supplement at the Pharmagenic laboratory.

Responsibility for the detection of Ostarine in Bute’s tests was totally up to Pharmagenic laboratory in San Diego. Bute and his lawyer intend to pursue legal proceedings against the laboratory that has caused irreparable harm to the integrity and reputation of the former IBF super middleweight champion.

Details of the investigation were forwarded to the athletic commission in Washington DC, which will therefore be inviting Bute to enable representations and explanations of what happened before it takes a decision.

Meanwhile, Lucian Bute is in training at the gym of the Grant brothers regularly, does not put his career in question and is determined to take all means to become world champion in his division once the details of this case are fully set.

Robert Guerrero Press Conference Quotes

Former multiple division world champion Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero (33-4-1, 18 KOs) will bring his exciting style to the ring as he looks to put on a show when he he headlines Premier Boxing Champions on Spike against Argentine slugger David Emanuel Peralta (25-2-1, 14 KOs) Saturday, August 27 from the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Guerrero, along with his trainer and father Ruben Guerrero, have put together another successful camp in the Bay Area as Robert looks to earn another opportunity at the top fighters in the sport. Here is what Guerrero had to say about his matchup, training camp and more:

On fighting in a special weekend edition of MMA and Boxing on Spike…

“It’s going to be a great weekend of fights on Spike. On Friday, you got top level MMA fighters like Benson Henderson throwing down. He’s always giving the fans their money’s worth. On Saturday, you got Alfredo Angulo and myself, who always bring excitement to the ring. We’re never in boring fights. All in all, there’s going to be a lot of action packed fights that weekend. Everyone should be tuning in that’s for sure.”

On his recent training camp…

“There’s been a lot of hard work that’s been put into this recent training camp. My dad and I have been grinding daily to get ready for this fight. It’s been a productive camp though. I got a lot of rounds sparring with top guys. I’m in tip top shape and ready to go.”

On facing tough Argentine David Emanuel Peralta…

“Anytime you’re facing a fighter from Argentina you know you’re in for a tough fight. Peralta knows this is his chance to make a name for himself so I know he’s coming with his very best. He’s had a lot of time to prepare for this fight but I’ll be well prepared for anything he brings. He’s going to realize once he’s in the ring with me that I’m not some washed up fighter like some may think. I got plenty of fight left in me and Peralta will find out what I’m all about on August 27th.”

On the importance of coming out victorious..

“It’s very important that I win this fight at all cost. The welterweight division has plenty of good fighters that I want to get in the ring with. So it’s a must that I win this fight. I’m not taking Peralta lightly. I’m coming to win and win impressively.”

On fighting in Anaheim at the Honda Center…

“Anytime you’re fighting in Southern California, you know the fans are going to be passionate about the fights. They love to see a lot of action and that’s exactly what they’ll see when I step in the ring. The Honda Center is a top level venue where the fans will all have a great seat. I’m looking forward to fighting in front of the SoCal fans once again.”

Greg Cohen Promotions Signs Samuel Clarkson

Greg Cohen Promotions proudly announces the signing of red-hot light heavyweight contender Samuel “Main Event” Clarkson to a co-promotional agreement, along with Ronson Frank’s Uprising Promotions LLC.
25-year-old Clarkson (17-3, 11 KOs), from Cedar Hill, Texas, had a sensational year in 2015, scoring five wins, including two impressive ShoBox: The New Generation-televised victories over then 15-1 Lavarn Harvell (TKO 2) and then 13-1 Jerry Odom (TKO 3).

Clarkson also beat former world title challenger Cedric Agnew (then 27-1) by decision on DiBella Entertainment’s Broadway Boxing.

Trained by his father, Samuel Sr., since starting in boxing at age 17, the southpaw Clarkson went 69-9 as an amateur, winning the 2009 National PAL Amateur Championship and a pair of Texas Golden Gloves State Championships.

“It’s a blessing,” said Clarkson of the signing. “We sat down and talked to Greg Cohen about the opportunities he could offer me and my family in the boxing business and I’m looking forward to a very bright future.”

Clarkson says his streak of impressive victories started when he began to focus on more than his punching power.

“In my amateur days, I had a lot of knockouts,” he explained. “I knocked out everybody, but then in the pros I started to focus more on my boxing skills. I learned you can’t just go in there and swing hard punches and knock everybody out. I dissect my opponents now before getting them out of there. I pick them apart and then, when I see somebody hurt, I go in for the kill. That’s the biggest change in me.”

LaManna and Hernandez-Harrison Set to Battle September 15th

Welterweights Thomas LaManna and Dusty Hernandez-Harrison will square off in a scheduled 10-round bout for the vacant USBA Welterweight title on Thursday, Sept. 15, in a highly anticipated showdown at the 2300 Arena. The card is promoted by Final Forum Boxing, Peltz Boxing Promotions & GH3 Promotions and will be broadcast live on CBS Sports Network.

“This is the kind of fight boxing needs at this juncture,” said Hall-of-Fame promoter and matchmaker J Russell Peltz. “We have two young prospects at the same level meeting in a logical location–New Jersey against Washington, D.C. in Philadelphia. Boxing needs more fights like this in this kind of setting. This is the best fight for each of these fighters at this point of their careers.”

The wick for this explosive fight was lit several years ago when LaManna and Hernandez-Harrison engaged in heated sparring sessions which forged the rivalry for the inevitable bout.

LaManna, 24, of Millville, NJ, has a record of 21-1, 9 K0s. He has been fighting regularly on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City, NJ, since turning pro in 2011. He won his first 16 bouts, highlighted by wins over Ashandi Gibbs, of Tampa, FL, and Jamaal Davis, of Philadelphia. Since suffering his only loss to world-ranked middleweight Antoine Douglas, of Burke, VA, last year in a ShoBox-televised contest, LaManna moved back down to welterweight and has won five matches in a row. In his last fight July 22 at the Claridge in Atlantic City, Lamanna, knocked out Engleberto Valenzuela, of Mexico, in the first round.

“I’ve been looking forward to this fight for a long time,” said LaManna. “Our careers have run parallel. Dusty will bring plenty of fans to support him that night and the same goes for me. It’s an intriguing match for both of us and it’s in a natural setting where it belongs.”

Hernandez-Harrison, 22, of Washington, DC, is 29-0-1, 21K0s. He has been touted as the city’s “best boxing prospect since Sugar Ray Leonard” by the Washington Magazine.

He began fighting at the age of 6 in a boxing exhibition at the Ritz Nightclub in Northwest D.C. and became a sanctioned amateur at the age of 8.

Hernandez-Harrison compiled an amateur record of 167-30, winning Ringside World Championships, National Silver Gloves Championships and three consecutive National Golden Gloves Championships from 2007 to 2009. He turned pro in 2011 at the age of 17 in Mississippi, the youngest licensed pro boxer at the time.

Under the promotional banner of Roc Nation, Hernandez-Harrison has wins over Tim Witherspoon, Jr., of Philadelphia, Tommy Rainone, of New York, and Michael Clark, of Columbus, OH. His fights have been televised by ESPN, Fox Sports 1 and BET and he recently entered into agreements with FILA and GEICO to be a brand ambassador, the only professional boxer to represent each prestigious company.

“This is a big opportunity for both of us,” said Hernandez-Harrison “The winner will get a Top 15 world ranking by the IBF and that’s what this is about. I have known Thomas for a long time, but that all goes out the window when we step into the ring.

Slovenia Braces For Big WBF Convention Event

Slovenia is beginning to look forward to the upcoming World Boxing Federation (WBF) World Convention in Maribor (Sept. 22 – 25) in a big way.

As delegates from all over the world will be making their way to the small, but sports-crazy country, champions past and present, headed by local icon Jan Zaveck (Dejan Zavec), former world Light Heavyweight champion Donny “Golden Boy” Lalonde of Canada and first and foremost Italian superstar and all-time great Nino Benvenuti, to name but a few, have confirmed their presence at Maribor.

Meanwhile, RTV Slovenija national television have announced to not just cover the WBF Championship Boxing Night on the Saturday (Sept. 24), but also broadcast the Official Opening Ceremony of the WBF World Convention.

As if to underline the importance of the occasion, several honoraries will attend, among them Mr. Andrej Fistravec, mayor of Maribor, Mr. Bogdan Gabrovec and Mr. Tomaz Barada, President and Vice President of the National Slovenian Olympic Committee respectively.

Don’t miss what shapes up to be the biggest event in the history of the World Boxing Federation, dating back to its founding in 1988 in the USA, by registering today. Click here http://worldboxingfederation.net/articles/WBF-Convention-2016.pdf for the Registration Form.

Karim Mayfield Plans Big Surprise for Eyubov

If the team behind Bakhtiyar Eyubov think his next fight will be another easy showcase for their unbeaten welterweight, his opponent, Karim Mayfield has a message.

“He’s a very strong guy, but I’m more experienced than he is for sure,” said Mayfield. “He comes out looking for the first-round knockout by swinging with everything he’s got and he’s going to find it doesn’t work on me.”

Mayfield (19-3-1, 11 KOs), of San Francisco, will take on Kazakhstan’s Eyubov (10-0, 10 KOs) in the 10-round opening fight on ShoBox: The New Generation® on Friday, Aug. 19, live on SHOWTIME® (10 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast) from Rhinos Stadium in Rochester, N.Y.

In the 10-round main event, power-punching Jarrell “Big Baby” Miller (17-0-1, 15 KOs) will take on smooth veteran Fred Kassi (18-5-1, 10 KOs) for the NABO Heavyweight Title. In the 10-round co-featured bout, top prospect Mason Menard (31-1, 23 KOs) will face tough Bahodir Mamadjonov (19-2, 11 KOs) in a 10-round battle for the NABO Lightweight Title. Also featured is WBO NABO Bantamweight Champion Antonio Nieves (16-0-1, 8 KOs) of Cleveland, Ohio, defending his title against Alejandro “Peque” Santiago (11-2-1, 3 KOs), of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.

More Headlines