By: William Holmes
The following is the boxinginsider.com notebook for the week of August 13th to August 20th, covering the comings and goings in the sport of boxing.
Prescott and Barthelemy Victorious in Miami
Breidis Prescott (26-4) was victorious on Saturday against Francisco Figueroa Jr. (20-5-1) in the junior welterweight division. Khan has gone 6-4 since his fight victory over Amir Khan, but he easily dispatched of Figueroa with a pair of knockdowns in the first round. Prescott was knocked down in the fifth round, but still won 79-71, 78-71, and 77-73. Rances Barthelemy (17-0) remained undefeated with a clear cut victory over Alejandro Rodriguez (14-7) with scores of 80-71 on all three scorecards.
Salgado Outpoints Barros
Juan Carlos Salgado (26-1-1) defeated Jonathan Barros (34-3-1) in the junior lightweight division on Saturday. It was reported that the bout was filled with a number of fouls, and a head butt opened a cut over Salgado’s left eye. Salgado was allegedly the aggressor and landed more combinations. The scores were 116-111, 116-111, and 115-112 for Salgado.
Paul Spadafora Remains Undefeated
Paul Spadafora (46-0-1) fought on Saturday in Chester, West Virigina and defeated an overmatched Humberto Toldeo (41-8-2) with scores of 80-72, 80-72, and 79-73. Spadafora, who has fought sparingly the last few years, visibly frustrated Toledo. It remains to be seen if Spadafora will be willing to fight a legitmate opponent in the junior welterweight division.
Alexander vs. Bailey and Olusegun vs. Matthysse Set for September 8th
Randall Bailey (43-7) looks to continue his surprising run in the welterweight division after his knockout victory over previously undefeated Mike Jones when he takes on Devon Alexander (23-1) on September 8th at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. Undefeated Ajose Olusegun (30-0) will be fighting Lucas Matthysse (31-2) for the vacant WBC Interim Super Lightweight title. The bout will be broadcast on Showtime and tickets can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com
Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame Class of 2012 Officially Announced
The Connecticut Boxing Hall of Fame has officially announced its class of 2012. New members will be inducted at the 8th annual CBHOF Gala Induction Dinner on Saturday night, November 10th at the Uncas ballroom at the Mohegan Sun.
The new CBHOF inductees are former World Boxing Association (WBA) light middleweight champion “Tremendous” Travis Simms, former World Boxing Union (WBU) middleweight titlist “Dangerous” Dana Rosenblatt, five-time Trainer of the Year Freddie Roach, promoter Jimmy Burchfield (Classic Entertainment and Sports, Inc.), manager George Cruz and the late manager/promoter Lou Viscusi.
Tickets are on sale for $75 and can be purchased by calling Kim Baker at Mohegan Sun at 1-860-862-7377.
Matthew Macklin Set For Las Vegas Debut
Middlweight contender Matthew Macklin is set for his Las Vegas Debut on September 15th when he takes on Jachim Alcine on the Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. card. Macklin fought a tought battle with Martinez at Madison Square Garden o St. Patrick’s Day and will be fighting in front of a US television audience again on the HBO Pay Per View.
“I’ve been going to Las Vegas for a long time both as a fight fan and when I was in the Ricky Hatton camp for his big fights over there,” said Macklin. “I was due to fight Winky Wright there last year but he pulled out and the fight fell through so I’m looking forward to finally fighting there on such a big night for the middleweight division.”
Prospect Danny O’Connor Looks to Stay Active
Despite fighting in August, lightweight prospect Danny O’Connor (18-1) is already back in the gym preparing for his next action, September 29, on a non-televised segment of a HBO Bad tripleheader. O’Connor is a former two-time national amateur champion and a 2008 U.S.Olympic Boxing Team alternate.
“The name of the game for me is keeping active,” O’Connor says. “I’m young, hungry and always in shape. Inactivity hurts fighters. I appreciate what’s going on right now. I’m looking forward to my next fight and to keep improving.”
Robert Ortiz vs. Florencio Castellano & Gilberto Ramirez vs. Richard Gutierrez Set for August 25th
Robert Ortiz (25-0-1) vs. Florencio Castellano 16-6) and Gilberto Ramirez (22-0) vs. Richard Gutierrez (26-9-1) will be featured on an August 25th doubleheader from Tulum, Mexico. The bouts will be televised on Televisa in Mexico and Fox Deportes in the United States. Ortiz vs. Castellano will be for the WBC Silver Super Lightweight title.
Bryant Jennings Takes on Chris Koval on September 8th
Ever since NBC Sports Network began televising boxing, Philadelphia heavyweight Bryant Jennings has experienced a rise in popularity, as he’s been featured on several of their cards. On September 8th, Jennings (14-0) will be fighting Chris Koval at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. It will be part of a heavyweight triple header that also features Tomasz Adamek (46-2) fighting Travis Walker (39-7-1). Tickets can be purchased at www.ticketmaster.com
John Simpson Makes First Defense on Burns v. Mitchell Card
John Simpson will be making his first defense of his Celtic Super Featherweight title on the big Ricky Burns-Kevin Mitchell world title card at Glasgow’s SECC on Saturday September 22nd. Simpson is a former Commonwealth and three-time British Champion. “This is an important fight for me and a win could lead towards a British title shot again or a potential European title,” Simpson says.
The main event of this card will be Ricky Burns vs. Kevin Mitchell for the WBO World Lightweight title. Tickets can be purchased online at eventim.co.uk.
Arthur Abraham Knows He Just Has to Win
Arthur Abraham (34-3) will be fighting the reigning WBO Super Middleweight World Champion Robert Stieglitz (42-2) at the o2 World stadium in Berlin, Germany.
“Robert is a complete boxer,” says Abraham. “He throws a huge amount of punches with his right as well as his left hand. He also possess a lot of speed. I know that I have to be really careful when I am in the ring with him.”
Abraham also commented on the all or nothing situation he is in: “ It definitely is that sort of fight for me. I just have to win-there is no way around it. The pressure on me is huge and I have to deal with that. But I believe, that I have gained an enormous amount of experience in the last years and that will help me.”
Nick Cannon To Serve As Ring Announcer for Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson
A major fight is coming on September 8th at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, as Andre Ward will be battling Chad Dawson on HBO World Championship Boxing. Nick Cannon, the award winning actor, comedian, multi-media mogul, TV and radio host will take his announcing skills to the ring as the official announcer for the fight.
“As a huge fight fan and follower of the sport, I am thrilled to have the opportunity to be the ring announcer and introduce these two incredible fighters to the fans at Oracle Arena and everyone watching LIVE at home on HBO,” said Cannon. “It’s going to be an unforgettable event.”
Guillermo Rigondeaux Enjoined From Participating in September 15th Bout
A Circuit Court hearing was held in Miami and the Court enjoined WBA World Super Bantamweight Champion Guillermo “El Chacal” Rigondeaux (10-0) from engaging in any bout not approved by his manager, Gary Hyde, and also enjoined Rigondeaux from participating in a September 15th fight previously announced by Top Rank.
Rigondeaux’s contract with top rank expired previous to the September 15th date, and his manager had not approved that date and had allegedly received lucrative offers from other promoters. Hyde claimed that Top Rank sought to schedule Rigondeaux without his permission.