Power Shots: News and Views on the Heavyweight Division
by Johnny Walker
Eccentric UK heavyweight contender Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora (15-3-0, 9 KOs) has told fans of the English soccer team not to pay attention to reports of supposed dangerous, roving bands of “racists” that the British media has been fear-mongering about ahead of the Euro 2012 soccer championships, to be held in both Poland and Ukraine.
“Don’t be put off, get on the plane and support your country, your nation, that’s what I’m doing,” Chisora tells English soccer fans.
“I’m going to be in Poland and Ukraine, both countries, supporting England.”
And speaking of Ukraine, Chisora also has a message for the Ukrainian heavyweight champion Klitschko brothers, who have been highly critical of his upcoming grudge match with fellow Brit David Haye, scheduled for July 14 in London.
“The Klitschko brothers should just mind their own business,” Del Boy told Steve Bunce this week.
“They just talk and talk, you know. (Does doomy-voiced Klitschko impression) ‘Oh, the two guys were beaten by the Klitschko brothers, I don’t know why they are having this fight for.’
“Cause you know why? Cause no-one in the world knows who [the Klitschkos] are. Only in Germany. In the four corners of this continent, they know me and David, but in only one corner they only know the Klitschkos, so that’s why.”
Chisora also says he intends to do some sight-seeing while in Ukraine, and makes a joking reference to his insulting slap of WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s face at the weigh-in for their fight.
“I hear they have a restaurant now…the Klitschko brothers,” snickers Chisora. “They got a big restaurant there apparently, so I’m gonna have a steak there (laughs). A slap-up steak.”
The Klitschko camp, meanwhile, continues to attack Chisora in the press—even going so far as to defend their former number one enemy, David Haye.
“I at least have to confess that Haye is talking this and talking that but he’s not crazy,” says Klitschko manager Bernd Boente.
“He’s doing a lot of PR things, but Chisora really needs psychological help. That’s what we all think after what happened in Germany. The guy slapped Vitali, spit into Wladimir’s face, threatened the commissioners, jumped into Haye. And I have to say that all of that came from the Chisora side, not from Haye.”
Apparently after Dereck Chisora got in the act via slapping and spitting water at the Klitschkos, David Haye’s mere verbal insults and nasty t-shirts seem much more acceptable.
BBBoC DROPS AUTOMATIC EXPULSION THREAT
Meanwhile, the British Boxing Board of Control, which has been out-maneuvered by promoter Frank Warren in the staging of Haye vs Chisora in London against its wishes, has now dropped its threat to automatically terminate the memberships of those involved in the bout:
OFFICIAL STATEMENT: CHISORA v HAYE
On the 9th May 2012 the British Boxing Board of Control issued a statement about a possible promotion within the United Kingdom involving a contest between Derek Chisora and David Haye. The Board understands that the Fédération Luxembourgeoise de Boxe has granted Chisora and Haye boxing licences and has sanctioned the contest. For the reasons stated in the statement of the 9th May 2012 the Board condemns the actions of the Fédération Luxembourgeoise de Boxe and strongly disapproves of the contest, which the Board considers will bring the sport of professional boxing into disrepute.
Whilst the Board in its statement of 9th May 2012 indicated that any member who participated (as defined therein) in such promotion, would be deemed to have terminated his/her membership of the British Boxing Board of Control, it has now decided that any such member will be called before the Board under regulation 4.9 of the Rules and Regulations of the British Boxing Board of Control which reads as follows:
4.9 A licence holder’s licence may be suspended or withdrawn by the Board: if, having called the licence holder before it, it reasonably considers that it is not in the interests or the welfare of boxing that the licence holder should continue to hold his licence.
Further, the Board has not sanctioned the “undercard” as it is an integral and necessary part of the promotion which the Board considers will bring the sport of professional boxing into disrepute. Accordingly any member of the British Boxing Board of Control who participates in the “undercard” will be called before the Board under Regulation 4.9.”
Sensing weakness, promoter Warren immediately shot back at the Board.
“The British Boxing Board of Control had an embarrassing climb down today – withdrawing its threat to automatically terminate all of its members’ licences if they participate in the Haye v Chisora fight,” Warren said in a prepared statement.
“I still take the Board’s threat to call me to account for my role in the fight as Dereck Chisora’s manager as unlawful. The Board seems to have pre-judged the issue without hearing the point of view of any of its members and this is just wrong. I intend to issue proceedings next week and will support all other licence holders who feel intimidated into not participating in the Haye v Chisora promotion.”
SETH MITCHELL INJURED—FIGHT WITH BANKS OFF
American heavyweight prospect Seth Mitchell (25-0, 19 KOs), had no sooner had a fight with Klitschko brothers’ protégé Johnathan Banks announced for July 14 than he had to call it off.
Mitchell injured his right hand in his last fight, a win over Chazz Witherspoon in which Mitchell was rocked hard in the first round, before regaining his composure and stopping Witherspoon in the third.
Apparently there had been some confusion in Mitchell’s camp about whether to proceed against Banks, but after a doctor advised Mitchell to rest the hand for 6 to 8 weeks, Golden Boy Promotions thus decided not to risk further injury to the man they hope is the future American heavyweight savior.
ANOTHER GIANT BRIT ON THE MARCH
Move over 6’ 8” tall David Price and 6’9” Tyson Fury.
The aptly named Richard Towers, another muscular British heavyweight behemoth at 6’ 9” in height, is set to face Frenchman Gregory Tony for the vacant EU heavyweight title at Manchester Velodrome on Saturday June 16.
Price had been due to meet fellow unbeaten boxer Michael Wallisch on the same bill, but the German has pulled out of the bout.
Tony, 33, has 17 wins with 14 coming by knockout and two defeats – both setbacks coming against top class opponents Robert Helenius and Mike Perez.
“It is a disappointing that Wallisch is out, but Tony is a decent test,” said Hatton Promotions CEO Ricky Hatton.
“The fight will tell us exactly where Richard is at and if he wins he’ll be closing in on the new European champion Kubrat Pulev.
“Richard is making steady progress and inside 12 months will be ready for men like Pulev, Tyson Fury and David Price.”
Send this to a friend