Michael Buffer Battles Cancer
- April 10th, 2008
WORLD RENOWNED FIGHT ANNOUNCER BATTLES CANCER!
Boxing ring announcer, Michael Buffer, famous for the trademarked phrase, “LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE”, is currently recovering at his home in Los Angeles following surgery to remove cancerous tumors from the throat and neck.
Buffer has issued the following statement:
“The cancer was detected at a very early stage in mid-February and three weeks ago I was operated on by one of the best surgeons in the field. I am recovering well and feel stronger every day. The early detection prevented any spread that would have jeopardized my vocal ability. I am looking forward to being back in the ring next week (Saturday, April 19th) as Bernard Hopkins faces Joe Calzaghe on HBO from Las Vegas. The support and encouragement for a return to good health received from my friends and members of the sports promotion and broadcasting community was overwhelming and greatly appreciated. I was very surprised to learn how many cancer survivors are out there and how they instantly rallied to my support. As a new member of that group, I intend to keep up that tradition.
“My physicians are not sure of the cause as many things can contribute to cancer but one very distinct possibility is smoking. After a decade of smoking, I quit 35 years ago but the damage may have begun. Hopefully, my circumstances will encourage others to avoid smoking and second hand smoke when possible, and please get regular checkups.”
For more than 25 years, Buffer has been recognized around the world as boxing’s premiere ring announcer. He is a staple on HBO boxing and regularly travels to Europe and Asia for fight telecasts. The words, “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble” are actually a registered trademark and the licensing of the phrase has generated hundreds of millions of dollars with video games (a new one coming out late this year), toys, food products, clothing and sporting goods to name a few. Buffer’s appearances and introductions have not been limited to boxing as he has also opened World Series games, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup games, NCAA events, WWE matches, the Olympics and concerts featuring JayZ, Black Eyed Peas and Aerosmith. He has appeared in numerous TV commercials and on dozens of shows such as the ESPYS, Academy Awards, BET Awards, the Grammys, SNL, Mad TV, Leno, Letterman and Conan. Buffer has played himself many times over in motion pictures but will be seen in a featured role as an unscrupulous NYC realtor in “YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN” starring Adam Sandler due this spring.
FOR INQUIRIES: www.letsrumble.com
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal