Michael Buffer Battles Cancer
- April 10th, 2008
WORLD RENOWNED FIGHT ANNOUNCER BATTLES CANCER!
Boxing ring announcer, Michael Buffer, famous for the trademarked phrase, “LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE”, is currently recovering at his home in Los Angeles following surgery to remove cancerous tumors from the throat and neck.
Buffer has issued the following statement:
“The cancer was detected at a very early stage in mid-February and three weeks ago I was operated on by one of the best surgeons in the field. I am recovering well and feel stronger every day. The early detection prevented any spread that would have jeopardized my vocal ability. I am looking forward to being back in the ring next week (Saturday, April 19th) as Bernard Hopkins faces Joe Calzaghe on HBO from Las Vegas. The support and encouragement for a return to good health received from my friends and members of the sports promotion and broadcasting community was overwhelming and greatly appreciated. I was very surprised to learn how many cancer survivors are out there and how they instantly rallied to my support. As a new member of that group, I intend to keep up that tradition.
“My physicians are not sure of the cause as many things can contribute to cancer but one very distinct possibility is smoking. After a decade of smoking, I quit 35 years ago but the damage may have begun. Hopefully, my circumstances will encourage others to avoid smoking and second hand smoke when possible, and please get regular checkups.”
For more than 25 years, Buffer has been recognized around the world as boxing’s premiere ring announcer. He is a staple on HBO boxing and regularly travels to Europe and Asia for fight telecasts. The words, “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble” are actually a registered trademark and the licensing of the phrase has generated hundreds of millions of dollars with video games (a new one coming out late this year), toys, food products, clothing and sporting goods to name a few. Buffer’s appearances and introductions have not been limited to boxing as he has also opened World Series games, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup games, NCAA events, WWE matches, the Olympics and concerts featuring JayZ, Black Eyed Peas and Aerosmith. He has appeared in numerous TV commercials and on dozens of shows such as the ESPYS, Academy Awards, BET Awards, the Grammys, SNL, Mad TV, Leno, Letterman and Conan. Buffer has played himself many times over in motion pictures but will be seen in a featured role as an unscrupulous NYC realtor in “YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN” starring Adam Sandler due this spring.
FOR INQUIRIES: www.letsrumble.com
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- HBO Boxing Results: Stevenson and Kovalev Win by Knockout, Again…..
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself
- Top Rank Will Kiss Off HBO to Get Floyd Mayweather Deal with Manny Pacquiao
- Froch-Groves: Miscellaneous Musings in the Aftermath of a Masterclass
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather takes his promotion company on the road
- Ex-Lightweight Anthony Fletcher Entombed Live for Want of ‘Hook’