Michael Buffer Battles Cancer
- April 10th, 2008
WORLD RENOWNED FIGHT ANNOUNCER BATTLES CANCER!
Boxing ring announcer, Michael Buffer, famous for the trademarked phrase, “LET’S GET READY TO RUMBLE”, is currently recovering at his home in Los Angeles following surgery to remove cancerous tumors from the throat and neck.
Buffer has issued the following statement:
“The cancer was detected at a very early stage in mid-February and three weeks ago I was operated on by one of the best surgeons in the field. I am recovering well and feel stronger every day. The early detection prevented any spread that would have jeopardized my vocal ability. I am looking forward to being back in the ring next week (Saturday, April 19th) as Bernard Hopkins faces Joe Calzaghe on HBO from Las Vegas. The support and encouragement for a return to good health received from my friends and members of the sports promotion and broadcasting community was overwhelming and greatly appreciated. I was very surprised to learn how many cancer survivors are out there and how they instantly rallied to my support. As a new member of that group, I intend to keep up that tradition.
“My physicians are not sure of the cause as many things can contribute to cancer but one very distinct possibility is smoking. After a decade of smoking, I quit 35 years ago but the damage may have begun. Hopefully, my circumstances will encourage others to avoid smoking and second hand smoke when possible, and please get regular checkups.”
For more than 25 years, Buffer has been recognized around the world as boxing’s premiere ring announcer. He is a staple on HBO boxing and regularly travels to Europe and Asia for fight telecasts. The words, “Let’s Get Ready To Rumble” are actually a registered trademark and the licensing of the phrase has generated hundreds of millions of dollars with video games (a new one coming out late this year), toys, food products, clothing and sporting goods to name a few. Buffer’s appearances and introductions have not been limited to boxing as he has also opened World Series games, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup games, NCAA events, WWE matches, the Olympics and concerts featuring JayZ, Black Eyed Peas and Aerosmith. He has appeared in numerous TV commercials and on dozens of shows such as the ESPYS, Academy Awards, BET Awards, the Grammys, SNL, Mad TV, Leno, Letterman and Conan. Buffer has played himself many times over in motion pictures but will be seen in a featured role as an unscrupulous NYC realtor in “YOU DON’T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN” starring Adam Sandler due this spring.
FOR INQUIRIES: www.letsrumble.com
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- PPV Round by Round Results: Manny Pacquiao Wins A Thriller In A Close Fight
- HBO PPV Televised Undercard Results: Beltran, Vargas, and Vasquez Win Decision Victories
- HBO PPV Untelevised Undercard Results: Monaghan, Valdez, Falcao, and Gvozdyk Win Easily
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Ramirez Stops Lorenzo, Hart Dominates Clarkson
- Live from MGM Grand: Timothy Bradley vs. Manny Pacquiao Weigh In Results
- Watch The Manny Pacquiao vs Tim Bradley Weighs LIVE
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Tim Bradley By the Numbers
- HBO PPV Boxing Preview: Pacquiao vs. Bradley, Beltran vs. Usmanee, Allakhverdiev vs. Vargas
- Interview with Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez: Looking to Become the Next Great Mexican Champion
- Skipp Scott’s Camp Files Protest Against The Result Of Bout With Gerald Washington
- Pacquiao – Bradley 2: The End Of An Illusion
- Why Pacquiao-Bradley Is A Far Better Matchup Than Mayweather-Maidana
- 5 Reasons Why Tim Bradley Will Beat Manny Pacquiao
- Sports Books Have Good Reason to Favor Manny Pacquiao over Timothy Bradley
- Jackie Kallen: It’s Tim Bradley’s Time
- Fighters Wary as Oscar De La Hoya, Richard Schaefer Sharpen Legal Knives
- Uncovering Bradley-Pacquiao Pay-Per-View Price like Finding Cop When You Need One
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Tim Bradley: Redemption or Revenge?
- Bradley v Pacquiao – Mayweather v Maidana: A Tale Of Two Pay Per Views
- Is it Manny “Killer Attitude” Pacquiao?