Lennox Lewis: “Vitali Klitschko Is the Best Heavyweight Out There”
- February 10th, 2012
By Johnny Walker
In a new interview with Sky Sports, former world heavyweight boxing champion Lennox Lewis praises current WBC champion Vitali Klitschko, the man he defeated on a cuts stoppage in 2003 before retiring, as the world’s best heavyweight.
“Vitali Klitschko is the best heavyweight out there right now,” Lewis said. “He’s a lot taller than his brother, a lot more awkward than his brother.”
Lewis also clarified his recent remarks about David Haye coming out of retirement to face Vitali, saying that he didn’t like Haye’s chances against Klitschko without at least a couple of wins over some ranked contenders first.
“To come right out of retirement and face [Vitali], I think it’s the wrong move for him,” Lewis said of Haye.
“To box a Klitschko, lose to a Klitschko, retire, and then come out retirement and say ‘I want to box a Klitschko again,’ nobody wants to see that.”
Lewis also downplayed the chances of his countryman Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora, who squares off with Vitali Klitschko on February 18 in Munich.
“I think it’s too much, too soon,” Lewis opined of Chisora.
“I think there’s nobody around right now that’s gonna give the Klitchkos any problems. But, Dereck, you know, he’s got a puncher’s chance. That means if he is able to get through with a punch, he may see a light at the end of the tunnel.”
Lewis, however, also praised the iron chin of the elder Klitschko, mentioning the uppercuts he strafed Vitali with in the final round of their 2003 encounter.
“He wavered a little bit, and he held me after I hit him with those uppercuts … but he absorbed them well, “ laughed Lewis.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- HBO Boxing Results: Stevenson and Kovalev Win by Knockout, Again…..
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself
- Top Rank Will Kiss Off HBO to Get Floyd Mayweather Deal with Manny Pacquiao
- Froch-Groves: Miscellaneous Musings in the Aftermath of a Masterclass
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather takes his promotion company on the road
- Ex-Lightweight Anthony Fletcher Entombed Live for Want of ‘Hook’