Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Atlantic City Boxing

Jackie Kallen: Karim Mayfield is finally getting the opportunity on HBO

By Jackie Kallen

Karim Mayfield is finally getting the opportunity he has worked for since he turned pro in 2006. The 33 year-old jr. welterweight will be fighting Thomas Dulorme on HBO this coming weekend. He’ll put his 18-0 record on the line against the 20-1 Puerto Rican for the NABF belt.

414643 Kovalev vs Agnew Poster

Since I used to work with Mayfield, I know that he can punch and he has the desire to win. Although he only fought once last year and twice a year in 2010, 2011 and 2012, he will be ready for Saturday’s fight in Atlantic City at the Boardwalk Hall.

Mayfield’s only fight last year was a KO win against veteran Christopher Fernandez in September. He had two impressive wins in 2012 against Maurice Herrara and Raymond Serrano. His nickname is “Hard Hitta” and he has destroyed more than half of his opponents by KO.

Dulorme is also a good puncher and has only been stopped once–by Luis Carlos Abregu in 2012. He has wins against guys like DeMarcus Corley and Aris Ambiz, but hasn’t really stepped up against anyone like Mayfield. Dulorme has built his record against fighters with records like 17-12, 55-19, 20-15 and 0-6. Karim Mayfield may be quite a shock to Dulorme’s system.

The main event will pit Light Heavyweight Sergey Kovalez against Cedric Agnew. The 30-year old Russian, now living in Ft. Lauderdale will be facing Agnew for Kovalez’s WBO title. He won the belt last November against Ismayl Sillah in Quebec with a 2nd round KO.

From Chicago, 27 year-old Agnew is a viable foe. He is 26-0 and has scored wins over Yusaf Mack, Daniel Judah and Otis Griffin. He has dropped half of his opposition and at 6′ tall, he will line up evenly with 23-0 Kovalez. Whenever two undefeated boxers put their records on the line, it is generally an exciting fight.

The key point here is Kovalez’s power. He is a devastating puncher who has only allowed 13% of his victims to leave the ring with a decision loss. The other 87% were counted out. This is definitely going to be a challenge for Agnew. As Joe Louis said, “He can run but he can’t hide.”

Rounding out the card will be another Light Heavyweight match between Lionel Thompson (15-2) and Radivoje Kalajdzic (14-0.) Thompson has already tasted the fury of Kovalez and hit the canvas in the third round. He also lost to Nicholson Poulard a few months before that. But since then has strung together three wins.

Kalajdzic is a 22 year old Bosnian now living in Florida. He is 6’2″ and is a formidable opponent. Being six years younger and three inches taller may be a plus. But Thompson can count on Kalajdzic fighting like crazy to keep his 0 in place.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Featured 2

By: Sean Crose. WBO and IBF middleweight titlist Zhanibek Alimkhanuly will not be defending his belts against Andrei Mikhailovich Saturday night, as planned. Top...

Featured 2

By: Sean Crose It was widely agreed that, at 37 years of age, Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez was past his prime when he stepped into...

Featured 2

By: Sean Crose IBF welterweight champion, Jaron “Boots” Ennis put his title on the line Saturday night in his hometown of Philadelphia against David...

Featured 2

By: Sean Crose Give Jake Paul this – the man keeps active. After a major July novelty bout with Mike Tyson was postponed (if...