Victor Ortiz vs. Andre Berto II: More than a Fight
- January 16th, 2012
by Hans Olson
We’re just about a month away from what’s to be the most anticipated fight of 2012’s first quarter, “Vicious” Victor Ortiz vs. Andre Berto II.
In their epic first meeting, Ortiz was able to dethrone the Berto, who hadn’t been defeated until that point in. It has been the defining win of Victor Ortiz’ young career.
For Andre Berto, it’s a loss he hasn’t forgotten.
“I’m hungrier than ever. I predict a win,” said Berto last month at the bout’s press conference. “This is a tremendous opportunity. I’m ready to get it on. I’ve had to improve my game. I’ve had a hard, tough training camp and just have to stay focused and get the job done.”
The fight itself isn’t the only thing on Berto’s mind. It’s been two years since his homeland in Haiti was devastated by a massive earthquake. In an effort to continue helping assist in Haiti’s relief effort, Berto, Ortiz, and their promoters (DiBella Entertainment and Golden Boy Promotions respectively) are teaming up by offering a 10% discount on all tickets for Ortiz vs. Berto II from Thursday, January 12 at 10:00 p.m. PT until Thursday, January 19 at 10:00 p.m. PT for customers purchasing through Ticketmaster who use the code HAITI2 and donating 10% of all ticket sales generated by the code to Haiti Relief.
“It makes me smile from ear to ear to see the growing progress in Haiti and knowing that I am a part of it,” said Berto in a press release yesterday. “Every day that I train makes it all worth it because I know it will give me a platform through my fights to continue to bring awareness to Haiti. I don’t want to be one of those people who just ‘talk.’ I want to be one of the people that actually steps up and does something, and that’s what I am going to continue to do.”
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Shobox Results: J’Leon Love Wins & A Night of Unforeseen Events
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Boxino – Kopylenko, Adams, Gatica, and Monroe Advance
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. V. Bryan Vera: Take Two in San Antonio, Texas
- HBO Boxing Preview: Chavez Jr. vs. Vera, Lomachenko vs. Salido
- Ricky Burns v Terence Crawford Preview
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons
- Jackie Kallen: Is Floyd Mayweather vs Adrien Broner Inevitable?
- What’s next for Jean Pascal?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo: the Pop Star vs. the Dog
- It makes sense for Floyd Mayweather choose Marcos Maidana
- Mayweather-Pacquiao: Is It Finally Time To Move On?
- Vasyl Lomachenko: A Star Isn’t Born
- Vitali Klitschko: Unappreciated In The Ring – And In World Affairs