Boxing Hall of Fame Inductees for the Class of 2013
- May 30th, 2013
By Chris Carlson
The 24th annual Hall of Fame Weekend is right around the corner. The 2013 Modern Day Category of inductees is headlined by gone but not forgotten, two-division champion Arturo “Thunder” Gatti, Virgil “Quicksilver” Hill, who was a five time Champion, two-time light flyweight Champion Myung-Woo Yuh, along with ring announcer Jimmie Lennon Jr., Journalist Colin Hart, and the man who coined the phrase “Let’s get in on” referee Mills Lane.
The Hall of Fame weekend has over 20 schedule events that will include a cocktail reception, banquet, golf tournament, 5k fun run, all-boxing collectors’ show, parade, public workout sessions by current boxing stars, and also ringside lectures. The events begin June 6 to build the anticipation for The Official Enshrinement Ceremony which will be held on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 9th at 2:30 p.m. “We’re extremely excited about the Class of 2013 and very much looking forward to honoring the 24thclass of inductees” said Hall of Fame Executive Director Edward Brophy.
This year’s class of 2013 inductees also features lightweight Wesley Ramey and middleweight Jeff Smith in the Old-Timer Category. Manager Arturo “Cuyo” Hernandez in the Non Participant Category; cartoonist Ted Carroll in the Observer Category; and Joe Coburn in the Pioneer Category, inductees were voted in by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians.
40 boxing greats from the past are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities June 6-9th including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor , “Irish” Micky Ward, James “Buddy” McGirt, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Palomino, Julian Jackson, Wayne McCullough, , Mia St. John, Gerry Cooney, Gaspar Ortega, Tony DeMarco, Danny “Little Red” Lopez, Buster Douglas and many more.
The International Boxing Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization that opened its doors to the public in 1989 in Canastota, New York and is located at Exit 34 of the New York State Thruway. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information on the events planned for the 2013 International Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend call (315)697-7095.
You can also get info on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InternationalBoxingHallofFame and follow on Twitter at https://twitter.com/BoxingHall
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime PPV Results: Canelo Gives Angulo a Beat down in All Mexican Affaire!
- Canelo Dominates Angulo, Almost Saves Pay Per View Card
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Dusty Harrison Remains Undefeated, Morales and Nugaev Win
- Showtime PPV Preview: Canelo vs. Angulo, Santa Cruz vs. Mijares
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Shobox Results: J’Leon Love Wins & A Night of Unforeseen Events
- Floyd Mayweather Gives The Media A Very Strange “Moment.”
- Rapacious Showtime Demanding $60 for Canelo Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo
- Alfredo “Perro” Angulo: Going against the Vegas Chalk and Picking Angulo to Win
- Is Canelo Alvarez an A-List Boxer – Or Just An A-List Celebrity?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo by the Numbers
- The Top Boxing Fights That Need to Be Made From Matchmaker Ron Katz
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons
- Jackie Kallen: Is Floyd Mayweather vs Adrien Broner Inevitable?