Boxing Hall of Fame Inductees for the Class of 2013
- May 30th, 2013
By Chris Carlson
The 24th annual Hall of Fame Weekend is right around the corner. The 2013 Modern Day Category of inductees is headlined by gone but not forgotten, two-division champion Arturo “Thunder” Gatti, Virgil “Quicksilver” Hill, who was a five time Champion, two-time light flyweight Champion Myung-Woo Yuh, along with ring announcer Jimmie Lennon Jr., Journalist Colin Hart, and the man who coined the phrase “Let’s get in on” referee Mills Lane.
The Hall of Fame weekend has over 20 schedule events that will include a cocktail reception, banquet, golf tournament, 5k fun run, all-boxing collectors’ show, parade, public workout sessions by current boxing stars, and also ringside lectures. The events begin June 6 to build the anticipation for The Official Enshrinement Ceremony which will be held on the Hall of Fame Museum Grounds in Canastota, New York on Sunday, June 9th at 2:30 p.m. “We’re extremely excited about the Class of 2013 and very much looking forward to honoring the 24thclass of inductees” said Hall of Fame Executive Director Edward Brophy.
This year’s class of 2013 inductees also features lightweight Wesley Ramey and middleweight Jeff Smith in the Old-Timer Category. Manager Arturo “Cuyo” Hernandez in the Non Participant Category; cartoonist Ted Carroll in the Observer Category; and Joe Coburn in the Pioneer Category, inductees were voted in by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians.
40 boxing greats from the past are scheduled to participate in weekend festivities June 6-9th including Marvelous Marvin Hagler, Aaron “The Hawk” Pryor , “Irish” Micky Ward, James “Buddy” McGirt, Pipino Cuevas, Carlos Palomino, Julian Jackson, Wayne McCullough, , Mia St. John, Gerry Cooney, Gaspar Ortega, Tony DeMarco, Danny “Little Red” Lopez, Buster Douglas and many more.
The International Boxing Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization that opened its doors to the public in 1989 in Canastota, New York and is located at Exit 34 of the New York State Thruway. Hours of operation are Monday-Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information on the events planned for the 2013 International Boxing Hall of Fame Weekend call (315)697-7095.
You can also get info on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InternationalBoxingHallofFame and follow on Twitter at https://twitter.com/BoxingHall
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Thurman vs. Diaz, Figueroa vs. Belmontes, Matthysse vs. Molina
- ESPN Boxing Preview: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai
- Adrien Broner – Media Work Out Quotes
- Floyd Mayweather Faces Softball Questions During Media Conference Call
- Boxing Insider Notebook: MGM vs. Top Rank, Donaire, Pacquiao, Pascal, Klitschko, and more
- Floyd Mayweather Media Work Out Quotes
- Chris Arreola: “This Is A Do Or Die Fight For Me.”
- Media Interview with Marcos Maidana & Robert Garcia
- Luis Collazo Will Face Not One, But Two Opponents On May 3
- Rubin “Hurricane” Carter Dead at Age 76
- Will Canelo Alvarez Fight Manny Pacquiao? Not if Richard Schaefer Has His Way
- Showtime Triple-Header: Thurman Headlines Slaughter House Three
- Showtime, Borrowing Soviet-Style Tactic, Turns Sergey Kovalev into Non-Person
- Jackie Kallen: Keith Thurman rides again this weekend
- All Access: Why Floyd Loves The Haters
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate