50 Cent Signs Billy Dib To TMT Stable That Includes Gamboa and Dirrell
- July 30th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
Rapper and fledgling boxing promoter 50 Cent (aka Curtis Jackson) has signed IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib of Australia to a promotional contract, according to various media sources.
Also on the new TMT (The Money Team) roster are super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell and Cuban expatriate featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa.
And of course Floyd Mayweather Jr., 50′s partner in the TMT venture, figures to be involved in future cards as both a promoter and as a headline attraction.
“We want to change boxing,” says Fiddy, a former amateur boxer who says he wants to take a fighter-oriented, rather than a promoter-oriented, approach to the sport.
“The goal initially is to create a company by fighters, for the fighters, which breaks the traditional vibe of promoters taking advantage of fighters.”
“To me, the options are pretty clear. You can deal with a snake in the grass, a snake in the street or you could try something new,” adds Mr. Cent.
Dib lost his US debut back in 2008 to Steve Luevano and was subsequently dropped by Golden Boy Promotions.
Now he’ll get another crack at the US market with TMT.
“50 Cent has basically flown us over here, and he showed us a lot of love,” says Dib.
“I like the sound of the company. I like the people that he has signed to the company. I’m really excited about the future and what the future holds for me in boxing with this company.”
“I really want to associate myself with the best possible talent, and Billy falls into that category,” explains 50 Cent.
“Floyd [Mayweather Jr.] asked me to sign him, he has been watching his career and he has always been a big fan.
“When you have talent, it is important to showcase that talent.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail