50 Cent Signs Billy Dib To TMT Stable That Includes Gamboa and Dirrell
- July 30th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
Rapper and fledgling boxing promoter 50 Cent (aka Curtis Jackson) has signed IBF featherweight champion Billy Dib of Australia to a promotional contract, according to various media sources.
Also on the new TMT (The Money Team) roster are super middleweight contender Andre Dirrell and Cuban expatriate featherweight Yuriorkis Gamboa.
And of course Floyd Mayweather Jr., 50′s partner in the TMT venture, figures to be involved in future cards as both a promoter and as a headline attraction.
“We want to change boxing,” says Fiddy, a former amateur boxer who says he wants to take a fighter-oriented, rather than a promoter-oriented, approach to the sport.
“The goal initially is to create a company by fighters, for the fighters, which breaks the traditional vibe of promoters taking advantage of fighters.”
“To me, the options are pretty clear. You can deal with a snake in the grass, a snake in the street or you could try something new,” adds Mr. Cent.
Dib lost his US debut back in 2008 to Steve Luevano and was subsequently dropped by Golden Boy Promotions.
Now he’ll get another crack at the US market with TMT.
“50 Cent has basically flown us over here, and he showed us a lot of love,” says Dib.
“I like the sound of the company. I like the people that he has signed to the company. I’m really excited about the future and what the future holds for me in boxing with this company.”
“I really want to associate myself with the best possible talent, and Billy falls into that category,” explains 50 Cent.
“Floyd [Mayweather Jr.] asked me to sign him, he has been watching his career and he has always been a big fan.
“When you have talent, it is important to showcase that talent.”
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Thurman vs. Diaz, Figueroa vs. Belmontes, Matthysse vs. Molina
- ESPN Boxing Preview: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai
- Floyd Mayweather Faces Softball Questions During Media Conference Call
- Boxing Insider Notebook: MGM vs. Top Rank, Donaire, Pacquiao, Pascal, Klitschko, and more
- Floyd Mayweather Media Work Out Quotes
- Chris Arreola: “This Is A Do Or Die Fight For Me.”
- Media Interview with Marcos Maidana & Robert Garcia
- Luis Collazo Will Face Not One, But Two Opponents On May 3
- Rubin “Hurricane” Carter Dead at Age 76
- Showtime Boxing Results: Hopkins Dominates Shumenov, Quillin and Porter Victorious
- Will Canelo Alvarez Fight Manny Pacquiao? Not if Richard Schaefer Has His Way
- Showtime Triple-Header: Thurman Headlines Slaughter House Three
- Showtime, Borrowing Soviet-Style Tactic, Turns Sergey Kovalev into Non-Person
- Jackie Kallen: Keith Thurman rides again this weekend
- All Access: Why Floyd Loves The Haters
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate