Philip H. Anselmo Talks Boxing
- March 9th, 2010
BoxingInsider.com’s columnist Philip H. Anselmo may be super busy running his House Core Records label and consulting strategic advice to certain prominent boxers but he talked a little boxing in his recent interview with ArtistDirect.com’s Rick Florino…
The rest of the interview can be read here: http://www.artistdirect.com/entertainment-news/article/interview-philip-anselmo-pantera-down-you-don-t-have-to-conform-to-what-everyone-else-is-doing-if-you-want-to-do-something-make-a-dent/6511688
Here are the boxing questions…
Are you looking forward to the Manny Pacquiao fight?
He should be fighting Floyd Mayweather! Pacquiao is a man of two countries. He owns the Philipines, and he’s loved in America. He’s a very lovable, humble guy. Joe Calzaghe’s great! With the big super middleweight tournament they’ve got going now, he must be asking himself, “Where were these guys when I was around not but five years ago? I would’ve been part of this thing!” Joe fought through a lot of injuries in his career. He was avoided. Don’t get me wrong. In my book, Roy Jones Jr. is probably the most spectacular athletically gifted boxer that I’ve seen in my life. Truth being, Roy avoided Joe Calzaghe forever. When they fought about ten years too late, Roy floored Joe in the first round. Roy was there. He may not have been one-thousand percent Roy Jones Jr., but he was there. Also seeing him in the ring that night, Joe Calzaghe’s style would give anybody, including and in his prime Roy Jones Jr., fits. Joe was just a little bigger than Roy. That’s nothing Roy hadn’t faced before, but a big physical super middleweight at that weight 168lbs a south paw with that crazy fantastically beautifully gifted unorthodox unique style that just worked—I don’t know. I’d have to say Calzaghe’s the greatest super middle weight of all time. I don’t think anybody beats him.
That Shane Mosley and Margarito fight last year was a personal favorite…
What a great fight! I did a write-up for that fight for Boxing Insider. We’re about to see Shane fucking maybe take the thunder out of Mayweather. That’s a great placement fight for the Pacquaio fight. Look at what Shane did to the “invincible” Margarito. It’s unbelievable. Mosley fought so smart in that fight—just textbook boxing. He didn’t give ground, didn’t cover up, didn’t back up, didn’t get in Margarito’s range—he smothered him. He stayed close to him when he had to and then lit him up! I knew he’d finish that fight with his signature, beautiful, compact left hook—goodnight! It was fantastic.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, 50 Cent, and more….
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- Detroits Boxing Scene on the Upswing
- Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquaio: The Web of Spin
- Must We Disdain Excitement & Rally to Snore-Mongering Guillermo Rigondeaux?
- WBC Should Sanction an Interim Champion; Vitali Klitschko has Bigger Fights Ahead
- Boxing’s Biggest Battle: HBO vs Showtime
- Adrien Broner and the Anatomy of Creating a Superstar
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight