James DeGale Gets European Title Fight
- July 6th, 2011
Former British Super-Middleweight Champion James DeGale will challenge for the European title in September against the champion Piotr Wilczewski from Poland.
The Londoner is raring to get back into the ring following his contentious points loss to George Groves in May when he lost his British title.
Wilczeski, who is ranked number three in the world by the WBO, has lost only once in 30 fights and he captured the vacant European and WBO Intercontinental titles with a an eleventh round stoppage of Amin Asikainen in March this year.
“Challenging for the European title is a fantastic opportunity to get myself back in the big picture in my first fight back,” said DeGale.
“I’ve been hard in training since my last fight and I’m ready to box tomorrow if I need to, come September I’ll be in great shape,”
“The fight with Groves is in the past, I still believe I beat him, but I’m a positive person and now I’m focused on the future and a win will put me in a great position for a world title,”
“My promoter Frank Warren has done a great job in getting me home advantage for this title shot and now I’ve got to go out there, do the business and win it in style,”
“In fact, I’m about to sign a new three year deal with Frank and I’m really happy that he will continue to build my career as he has done since I turned professional,”
“He brought Amir Khan back from a devastating knockout loss to a world title in only three fights so I know that he can do it for me.”
Warren said, “This is a make or break fight for James. He’s got a big opportunity in front of him against Wilczewski and now has to go out there a deliver the goods and show the fans what he can do.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal