Ireland beat Scotland 6-3 at the National Stadium in Dublin, IABA
- April 1st, 2011
IRISH AMATEUR BOXING ASSOCIATION
“Ireland v Scotland”
Ireland beat Scotland 6-3 at the National Stadium in Dublin tonight.
Chris Phelan, Danny Coughlan, Jason Conroy, Tyrone McKenna, Davey Joe Joyce and Patrick O’Shea all claimed wins at the South Circular Road venue.
Phelan got Ireland’s campaign off to a flying start with a resounding win over Liam Holts in the opening duel of tonight’s “Celtic derby”.
The Ryston flyweight, who reach last February’s Elite 52Kg final, obliged Holts to take a standing count in the third on his way to a 15-1 verdict
However, Limerick’s Myles Casey, a brother of Willie Casey, who was at the Stadium supporting Myles tonight, lost out to John Thomson in the second flyweight decider of the evening.
St Anne’s bantamweight Danny Coughlan edged Ireland back in front in the third bout of the evening with a countback win over Stephen Tiffney and Crumlin’s Jason Conroy impressed en route to an eight point margin of victory over Andrew McKenzie.
Tyrone McKenna made it 4-1 to Ireland with a 10-6 decision over Callum Susans in the 64Kg class.
Susans claimed a Scottish Senior title on a countback at the Time Capsule in Coatfield last weekend.
Scotland, who deserve enormous credit for taking this international at such short notice after India – who were originally slated to meet Ireland tonight – announced they would not be coming to Dublin, pulled two back courtesy of wins for James Thomson and Christopher Givan over Stephen Carroll and Fergal Redmond, Givan triumphing on the second countback of the evening.
However, Davey Joe Joyce sealed the win for Ireland with a third round stoppage of Scott Hartley, the 2011 Scottish Senior finalist.
Cork’s Patrick O’Shea put the icing on the cake of a fine performance from the Irish team with a 12-7 win over Steve Nicol, also a 2011 Scottish Senior finalist.
Ireland v Scotland National Stadium Dublin April 1st
52kg:Chris Phelan (Ryston) beat Liam Holts (Scotland) 15-1
52kg:Myles Casey (Our Lady of Lourdes) lost to John Thomson (Scotland) 5-7
56kg:Danny Coughlan (St Anne’s) beat Stephen Tiffney (Scotland) 3-3,c/b 5-4
60kg:Jason Conroy (Crumlin) beat Andrew McKenzie (Scotland) 16-8
64kg:Tyrone McKenna (Oliver Plunkett ) beat Callum Susans (Scotland) 10-6
64kg:Stephen Carroll (Crumlin) lost to James Thomson (Scotland) 7-9
69kg:Fergal Redmond (Arklow ) lost to Christopher Givan (Scotland) 5-5,c/b 9-17
81kg:David Joe Joyce (St Michael’s Athy) beat Scott Hartley (Scotland) RSC3
91kg: Patrick O’Shea (Sunnyside) beat Steve Nicol (Scotland) 12-7
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail