Darren Barker Delivers Big Fight Boost For Purdy
- July 5th, 2011
BARKER DELIVERS BIG FIGHT BOOST FOR PURDY
LEE PURDY believes he cannot go wrong in his British welterweight title defence against Craig Watson.
The Colchester man believes training alongside European middleweight champion Darren Barker has fired him up to beat Watson again.
Purdy, 24, caused a huge upset in April snatching the crown from Watson with a magnificent fifth round stoppage.
Watson has hometown advantage in their return meeting at Oldham Sports Centre on Saturday April 16.
Purdy said: “It doesn’t bother me going into his backyard and I think I will knock him out again.
“The gym is buzzing and we all bounce off each other. I get such a lift being around a boxer like Darren Barker.
“We go running together all the time, train alongside each other and even spar sometimes. He is one of the best middleweights in the world.
“He is there every day and is such a great help along with my trainer Tony Sims.”
Purdy’s only defeat in 18 professional fights came when he narrowly lost on points to Denton Vassell in a Commonwealth title challenge last year.
He added: “Back then I was still get used to training under Tony, but now we have been together for two years I am a much better fighter.
“I will prove that against Watson next week. I was winning the first fight so there is no reason for me to have any doubt about the outcome.”
In supporting contests Watson’s fellow Oldham fighter Darren Stubbs challenges Bob Ajisafe for the vacant English light-heavyweight title.
Vassell is also in action when he boxers a six round non-title fight against Nicaraguan Ronny McField.
Hatton Promotions youngsters on the bill include Austin Hornsby, Dean Halsall and Matthew Clarkson.
The show is not being televised and tickets are selling fast for Watson’s revenge missing and are available prices £35, £55 and £75 VIP from 01925 755222
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Arum Likes Floyd Jr. in Bout with Canelo, and – No Surprise – So Does Floyd Sr.
- Andre Ward is Offered Possibility of Two-Fight Deal with Stevenson
- In Light of Cancellation, Speculation About Stevenson as Possible Bernard Hopkins Foe
- HBO Boxing Results: Mikey Garcia and Terence Crawford Score Stoppage Victories
- UFC 161 Results: Rashad Evans Defeats Dan Henderson
- Funny Media Interview with Paul Malignaggi & Adrien Broner
- ESPN FNF Results: Vicente Drops Diaz, Payano Devastates Maraon
- NBC Sports Network Boxing Results: Jennings and Kovalev Continue to Impress
- UFC 161 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Rashad Evans
- Undefeated Bantamweights Battle On FNF In WBA Title Eliminator
- Quick-Tongued Adrien Broner Set for Test against Paulie Malignaggi
- Jackie Kallen: Is Mikey Garcia The Real Deal?
- Jim Gray Wonders Why Referee Stopped Fight — Josesito Lopez Was Still Breathing
- Jackie Kallen: LA vs Montreal, HBO vs Showtime, Dawson vs Stevenson, Maidana vs Lopez
- Is it fair for Floyd Mayweather to fight Saul Alvarez at a catch weight?
- Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao — a Fight They Don’t Want Us to Want
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather vs Canelo – Dream Fight At Last!
- Richest Fight Ever Set for Sept. 14 — Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez
- Mad Dog Carl Froch No Ordinary Englishman
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013