Women’s Olympic Boxing: Claressa Shields Gives Americans Hope For Gold
- August 8th, 2012
Not only does the United States still have someone in the medal hunt, the Americans have a very good chance at a gold medal.
Claressa Shields, the women’s representative at middleweight, has moved on to the final in her division with a rousing 29-15 victory over Kazakhstan’s Marina Volnova, who took a lot of leather and endured a pair of standing eight counts.
Shields almost did not get into the Olympics. She lost out in the Women’s World Championships when she was beaten by Savannah Marshall of Great Britain, but through a quirk in the rules for Olympic qualifying, because Marshall went on to the finals of the middleweight competition, Shields was able to earn herself a berth for London.
So she basically had to play a waiting game to find out. as it turned out, she was one of the top two in the “Americas” group in her particular weight class.
She’s been precocious, that’s for sure. Shields is still a junior in high school in Flint, MI and she emerged victorious in the Olympic Trials, which is heady stuff. Reportedly the bout where she lost to Marshall was the first time she tasted defeat in her amateur career.
She found a challenge in her first bout, which was no cakewalk, as she outpointed Anna Laurell of Sweden, but only by an 18-14 margin.
The win over Volnova was much more decisive. Shields got off to a 7-5 lead at the end of the first round and just kept pulling away from there, leading 12-8 after two, 20-11 after three rounds and finishing with a flourish, as the judges gave her the fourth and final round (women fight four rounds of two minutes’ duration) by a 9-4 score.
In the finals, Shields will meet up with Nadezda Torlopova of Russia, who beat China’s Jinzi Li in the other semifinal. Torlopova defeated Volnova, among others, to reach the semifinals of the World Championships before losing to the aforementioned Marshall.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail