Olympic Light Flyweights: Zou Captures Another Olympic Medal
- August 11th, 2012
Shiming Zou of China, the defending Olympic champion and the AIBA world champion, won another gold medal today as he beat Kaeo Pongprayoon of Thailand in the light flyweight final in London.
Zou was technically superior than Pongprayoon over the first couple of rounds, and led by a score of 6-4 after those first two rounds were finished.
The third round was a bizarre one, with both of the combatants being penalized. Pongprayoon was extremely aggressive and Zou was becoming affected by the pressure. As a result, he started to push, and the referee cited him for that. The penalty was two points, and in amateur boxing, when a boxer gets penalized points, they are added to the opponent’s score.
Well, the same thing happened to Pongprayoon just a few moments later, essentially making it a wash. For him, though, this was fatal, as it contributed to creating a margin that he could just not overcome.
Pongprayoon obviously did not agree with the penalty points, and banged his fist down onto the canvas in anger after the verdict was announced. Then his coach came forward and raised Pongprayoon’s arm, as if to declare that he was really the man who deserved the victory. The crowd was not crazy about that.
Zou this wins his second straight gold medal in the light flyweight division, and he adds that to his three world championships to stamp himself as one of the best ever in the amateur ranks in this weight class.
If one would consider this victory to be somewhat tainted, though, it would be the second straight time in the Olympics for that as well. In 2008 in Beijing, Zou won the gold medal match when opponent Pürevdorjiin Serdamba of Mongolia had to retire fro the bout with a shoulder injury.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal