Olympic Flyweights: Teenager Robeisy Ramirez Carrazana Takes Gold
- August 12th, 2012
Robeisy Ramirez Carrazana of Cuba captured the Olympic gold medal in the flyweight division on Sunday with a 17-14 decision win over Tugstsogt Nyambayar of Mongolia at the ExCel Arena in London.
Ramirez, who is only 18 years of age, qualified for the Olympics with his performance in last year’s World Championships, where he eventually lost to Russia’s Misha Aloian. He also won the Pan Am Games.
Ramirez was ahead at the end of the first round by he score of 6-5, and still had nothing stashed away when the third round began, as he has only ahead by a point after an even second round. But he got the edge from the judges in the third round and moved ahead by a 7-5 margin to account for the final score.
Ramirez won his first two bouts in the tournament rather easily; in fact, he took those two decisions by a combined margin of 24 points. He had difficulties in his third bout against Andrew Selby, who came into the competition ranked #1 by AIBA in the weight class.
Then it was a comfortable 20-10 win over Michael Conlan of Ireland in the semifinals before this gold medal-winning match.
The southpaw had to handle a lot of pressure that came from Nyambayar and had enough poise to deal with and come back with offense of his won, but the fight was not as clear-cut as many had anticipated. Nyambayar had defeated Aloian to make it to this point, and he was not going easily. He did eat some uppercuts and that made an impression on the judges in the final round.
For his overall performance, Ramirez certainly has to be considered a candidate for outstanding boxer of these Olympics.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail