Fedor vs. Monson Set to Meet This Fall, Olympic Arena in Moscow, Russia
- September 16th, 2011
NEW YORK (September 16, 2011) – Mixed martial arts (MMA) heavyweight legends Fedor ‘The Last Emperor’ Emelianenko (31-4, 1 NC) and Jeff ‘The Snowman’ Monson (42-12) will meet as the headline bout at M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Monson. The event will take place Sunday November 20th from the Olympic Arena in Moscow, Russia with details on broadcast availability announced soon.
“Fedor has been very vocal about wanting to continue his fighting career,” said Evgeni Kogan, Director of Operations for Europe’s leading MMA promotion M-1 GLOBAL. “Fedor vs. Monson is a classic fight that had been in crosshairs for year. All parties have come together to make this fight a reality.”
Regarded as one of MMA’s greatest heavyweight fighters of all time, Emelianenko has been challenged as late, losing his last three bouts after going undefeated for nearly a decade. The losses came at the hands of Fabricio Werdum, Antonio Silva and Dan Henderson. Hungry to compete, ‘The Last Emperor’ still has the drive to battle top competitors. “I cannot wait to compete again. Monson is a great athlete who is skilled in many areas. He is a very worthy opponent,” said Fedor.
Coming of a loss to Daniel Cormier, the 40-year-old Monson is a two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist and considered extremely dangerous on the ground with more than half of his 42 career wins coming by way of submission.
Even though Emelianenko is coming off three straight losses, Monson holds Fedor in high regard; “Fedor is the best heavyweight of all time… It’s an honor to be fighting him.” Asked about what a win would mean, Monson didn’t mince words; “A win would be a highlight to my career. My trainers at American Top Team will prepare me for all possibilities. I’ll be prepared.”
As the hype builds towards the legendary matchup between Fedor and Monson, M-1 Global is already well underway preparations for its October 14th event in Phoenix, Arizona, M-1 Challenge: Guram vs. Garner 2.
The event from the new 5,500 seat Grand Canyon University Arena marks the promotion’s third outing on premium US network SHOWTIME and is headlined with two title fights; Reigning Heavyweight (265 Lbs.) Champion Guram Gugenishvili (11-0) will face relentless power-puncher Kenny ‘Deuce’ Garner (7-3) while BBJ Ace Vinny Magalhaes (8-5) makes his inaugural light heavyweight (205 Lbs.) defense against Mikhail Zayats (14-5).
For information on M-1 Global, go to the official M-1 website, www.M-1Global.com and M-1 Global facebook fan page.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal