Fedor Fighting On: Emelianenko vs. Monson PPV Sunday morning Live from Russia
- November 15th, 2011
HOBOKEN, NJ (November 15, 2011) – The greatest heavyweight fighter in mixed-martial-arts history, Fedor “The Last Emperor” Emelianenko (31-4-0, 8 KOs, 16 Submissions), takes on wrestling and Brazilian jui jitsu specialist Jeff “The Snowman” Monson(43-12-0, 2 KOs, 27 Submissions) in this Sunday’s (Nov. 20) “M-1 Global: Fedor vs. Monson” Mixed Martial Arts Pay-Per-View headline event, live from Olympic Arena in Moscow, Russia.
“Fedor vs. Monson,” presented by M-1 Global, is being distributed in the United States by Integrated Sports Media for live viewing at 7:30 AM/ET – 4:30 AM/PT on both cable and satellite pay-per-view via iN Demand, DIRECTV, DISH Network and Avail-TVN, for a suggested retail price of only $29.95. Check listings for same-day replays.
Fedor, who is fighting at home in Russia for the first time in four years, is coming off of three straight losses in the United States to Dan Henderson, Antonio Silva and Fabricio Werdum. He’s fighting Monson because that’s who he is, not for his already secure legacy in MMA history.
“I’m really happy to be fighting in Russia because most of my fights have been overseas,” Fedor recently said from training camp in Holland. “The only time I’ve fought in Russia was four years ago in St. Petersburg. I feel good and I’m looking forward to this fight.
“This is my job. I always try to win each fight. I’m not fighting to prove anything to anyone. I fight; that’s what I do. What happened – happened. I felt I could win each of those fights but something went wrong. Anything can happen and I prepare for each fight very seriously.”
Monson, fighting out of Miami, Florida, is a two-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist. The battle-tested veteran is looking at this fight as an opportunity of a lifetime in terms of his MMA legacy.
“This fight (versus Monson) has been talked about since my PRIDE days,” Fedor noted. “I am familiar with his career. I think Jeff is a very respected and tough opponent. I am looking forward to fighting him. Each fighter is different in his own way. I have had to fight various great guys. Jeff and I will offer an entertaining fight.”
Emelianenko has fought and defeated a virtual Who’s Who of MMA heavyweights during his 11 ½ year pro career: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (twice), Mirko Filipovic, Heath Herring, Kevin Randleman, Mark Coleman (twice), Renato Sobral, Matt Lindland, Andrei Arlovski, Hong Man Chio, Brett Rogers and Tim Sylvia.
“I’m very happy with the way training camp went, Fedor conclude. “I trained with my brother, Alexander, most of the time.
“I want to thank all of my fans. I know there are a lot in America. I truly appreciate fans that have supported me in America and I’m glad they will have a chance to watch this fight live. I truly appreciate their support.”
In the co-feature, M-1 Challenge Lightweight Champion Jose Figueroa (10-4, 4 KOs, 5 Submissions), also fighting out of Florida, defends against German challenger Daniel Weichel (27-7, 4 KOs, 16 Submissions).
Scheduled to fight on the PPV undercard is Russian welterweight Aleksander Yakovlev (12-3, 4 KOs, 7 Submissions) vs. undefeated Spanish prospect Juan Manuel “Juanma” Suarez (8-0, 1 KO, 3 Submissions), Austrian welterweight Mairbek “Beckan” Taisumov (15-3, 8 KOs, 6 Submissions) vs. Josh Thorpe (10-6, 3 KOs), from Alabama, and Russian middleweight Arthur Guseinov (9-2, 6 KOs, 2 Submissions) vs. French veteran Xavier “Professor X” Foupa-Pokam (21-16, 11 KOs, 7 Submissions). All fights and fighters are subject to change.
For more information about the Emelianenko-Monson PPV event go to www.integratedsportsnet.com or www.M-1Global.com. Follow Integrated Sports Media on Twitter @IntegratedPPV.
M-1 Global: Founded in 1998, M-1 Global (www.M-1Global.com) has established itself in the realm of mixed martial arts (MMA) as the premiere entity for discovering and developing the world’s next-generation of superstar fighters. With offices in St. Petersburg, Amsterdam, New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles and affiliates in Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Tokyo and Paris, the M-1 brand has staged over 70 events worldwide including the M-1 Selection and M-1 Challenge events and its co-produced Strikeforce events in the United States. Captivating the live, television and broadband audiences with its superior production values and match-ups, M-1 events have boasted some of the sport’s top names including Fedor Emelianenko, Andrei Arlovski, Aleksander Emelianenko, Gegard Mousasi, Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell, Melvin Manhoef, Roman Zentsov, Stephan Struve and rising stars Shamil Zavurov, Guram Gugenishvili, Alexander Sarnavskiy and Vinny Magalhaes.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Manny Pacquiao Isn’t Arrested, But May Face Vote-Buying Charges
- Robert Guerrero Gun Charges Dismissed – Gets Fine, Community Service
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Mike Tyson, David Haye, Bute vs. Pascal, Michael Buffer, and more
- Robert Guerrero Firearm Possession Charges Dismissed
- Manny Pacquiao Gets VADA to do Drug Testing for Rios Bout
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal
- Robert Guerrero aims to continue Bay Area Dominance