Three Arrested In Murder of Former Heavyweight Champion Corrie Sanders
- September 27th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
Three suspects, aged 19, 20 and 20, were arrested today for the murder of ex-heavyweight champion Corrie Sanders last Saturday in South Africa.
A news report states that “police received information that led them to an address in Oukasie, an informal settlement close to Brits. At this address, 2 suspects were arrested. The police confiscated a cellular phone, vehicle key, purse and cash that were allegedly robbed during the robbery and belongs to the victims.
“Police then went to a second address and a third suspect was arrested. A handbag, also belonging to a victim of the robbery was recovered. All three suspects are Zimbabwean citizens. They will appear before the Brits Magistrates’ Court on Monday, 2012-10-01 for charges of murder and armed robbery.”
Sanders, nicknamed “The Sniper” for his lethal left hand punch, pulled one of the greatest upsets in boxing history when he stopped Wladimir Klitschko in 2003 to win the WBO heavyweight title. He was defeated in his next fight, a brutal slugfest with Vitali Klitschko in 2004, and then gradually faded out of the boxing scene.
Sanders was shot in the hand and the stomach during a robbery while attending a relative’s birthday celebration at a restaurant. He died in the hospital early on Sunday.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail