Boxing Insider Notebook: Sheika, Pavlik, Linares, Jermain Taylor, more
- April 2nd, 2012
By: William Holmes
So much goes on in the world of boxing that it’s nearly impossible to dedicate an entire article to every single piece of news that occurs in this sport. Starting today, a new weekly column will be published on boxinginsider.com highlighting recent news and events in the sport.
Sheika vs. Mack
On April 27th, at the Resorts Casino in Atlantic City, NJ Omar Sheika takes on Yusaf Mack for the USBA Light Heavyweight Title. This is an interesting bout, as both have fought for a legitimate title several times but came up short each time. They’re both at the same stage of their careers and have a lot to lose or gain in this fight.
Pavlik Wins by 2nd round TKO
Kelly Pavlik continued on his comeback trail with a 2nd round TKO over Aaron Jaco in San Antonio Texas in the super middleweight division. While Jaco was not a big name opponent, a win is a win and Pavlik looks for another bout to reestablish his name.
Jorge Linares Loses by 2nd round TKO
Linares took his fight with Sergio Thompson as an alleged “tuneup” fight, before he was set to face Antonio DeMarco in a rematch. Unfortunately for Linares and Top Rank, that plan got derailed as Thompson knocked him down in the second round and Linares had blood streaming down his face. The referee was forced to call the fight off giving Sergio Thompson a major upset victory.
Viloria vs. Romero III Moved to May 12
Brian Viloria and Omar Romero were originally scheduled to fight on March 31st in Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines. That bout however has been rescheduled to May 12th, due to the Nevada State Athletic Commission preventing the WBO from sanctioning the fight due to unpaid penalties on Romero’s part. Romero has a total of $11,500 in penalties in which he needs to pay off.
Jermain Taylor Poised to Continue Comeback
On April 20th, former undisputed middleweight champion Jermain Taylor will continue his comeback trail on Shobox as he takes on the undefeated Caleb Truax. It should be noted that Taylor is reunited with his longtime trainer Patrick Burns,the man responsible for guiding Taylor from the 2000 Olympics to the undisputed middleweight championship.
Thomas “The Hitman” Hearns to be Featured in Charity Event
On April 21, 2012 at the Rising Star Casino Resort in Rising Sun, IN. Thomas “The Hitman” Hearns is slated to be a special guest for Nate Tubbs Events and Promotions Boxing Card. It is a “Boxing for Charity” fundraising event with 7 bouts to support The Nate Tubbs Group Home & Amateur Boxing Program for Teenage Boys.
Petlz Boxing Event: Taylor vs. Wilson April 14th in AC
On April 14th at Bally’s Casino in Atlantic City, Garrett Wilson will take on Andres Taylor for the NABF/USBA Cruiserweight title.
Peltz Boxing Event: Yorgey vs. Davis May 19th in AC
On May 19th, it was recently announced that Harry Joe Yorgey will be taking on Jamaal Davis in a junior middleweight contest at Bally’s Casino in Atlantic City. Also on the card is a light heavyweight contest featuring Chuck Massachio.
Quigg vs. Munroe Announced, June 16th
Scott Quigg and Rendall Munroe will be facing off against each other on June 16th in Manchester, England for the interim WBA title. They both fight in the Super Bantamweight Division.
Timothy Bradley Signs Endorsement Deal with Nike
Manny Pacquiao is a gigantic star, and big enough that even his opponents are able to land major endorsement deals. Timothy Bradley just signed a one year shoe and apparel deal with Nike.
Got a news story or press release that you think should be included in our weekly notebook? Email email@example.com and let us know about it!
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Manny Pacquiao Isn’t Arrested, But May Face Vote-Buying Charges
- Robert Guerrero Gun Charges Dismissed – Gets Fine, Community Service
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Mike Tyson, David Haye, Bute vs. Pascal, Michael Buffer, and more
- Robert Guerrero Firearm Possession Charges Dismissed
- Manny Pacquiao Gets VADA to do Drug Testing for Rios Bout
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal
- Robert Guerrero aims to continue Bay Area Dominance