Talkin’ Boxing with Margarito Manager Sergio Diaz
- December 12th, 2011
By Scoop Malinowski
Antonio Margarito’s long time co-manager Sergio Diaz discusses the former Welterweight champ’s revenge fight vs. Miguel Cotto at Madison Square Garden…
BoxingInsider: How is Antonio’s eye now after the Cotto fight? Was there any new damage done to it?
Sergio Diaz: ”Antonio’s eye is good. No damage at all. Cotto did what he said he was going to do, go after the eye.”
BoxingInsider: After the second or third round I thought I saw on a slow motion replay between rounds that Cotto seemed to use a thumb to sort of rake the right eye of Antonio? Did you see this? Was this a post-fight issue?
Sergio Diaz: ”I haven’t seen the fight (replay), but I was told by many people about the thumb.”
BoxingInsider: How is the state of mind of Antonio after this defeat to Cotto?
Sergio Diaz: ”Tony is upset that he was not given the opportunity to continue. He felt that he could have taken Cotto out. Cotto was running and hopping side to side, that’s what Cotto does when he’s in trouble.”
BoxingInsider: Any idea what the future plans will be for Antonio’s boxing career – Cotto III, Mayweather, Alvarez, Chavez Jr., Kirkland, Williams II, Pavlik, a rebuilding tune-up fight?
Sergio Diaz: ”I still don’t know what will be next for Antonio. I will be speaking with him this week to discuss his future. I’ll keep you posted.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail