Strikeforce Champion Nick Diaz Issues Open Challenge to Boxing
- April 19th, 2011
Northern California, April 19, 2011 – It’s the type of quest for greatness that has the masses in a frenzy.
Strikeforce welterweight champion, Nick Diaz is making an open challenge to the boxing world as he pursues the impossible attempting to become a recognized world champion in two dominant fighting sports.
Currently riding a 10-fight win streak, Diaz is ready to make the cross-over into boxing as he feels as though there aren’t enough significant challenges for him within the MMA world left to conquer.
Regardless of being a controversial figure with his outspoken personality and vicious fighting demeanor, knowledgeable MMA pundits have tabbed Nick Diaz as having by far the best pure boxing ability that the MMA world has to offer.
The current champions and former champions that have verbally considered obliging Diaz in a boxing match have ranged from former super middleweight champion Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy to former two-time junior middleweight champion Fernando Vargas.
Lou Dibella, the promoter of current undisputed middleweight champion, Sergio Martinez has showed significant interest in making a Martinez-Diaz super-fight a possibility.
Trainer and manager of Nick Diaz, Cesar Gracie states, “Nick Diaz will be boxing in 2011 and we want the biggest names the boxing world has to offer. Nick is more than ready for the challenge and it’s the type of fight that will really garner some huge interest amongst the public. For the boxing guys who say that Nick has no shot against any of their guys… I say don’t be surprised when Nick pulls off the impossible.”
The possibilities seem endless as this is a historically significant challenge being made by a fearless fighter in his absolute prime.
This will undoubtedly be the only moment in the history of both sports in which a legitimate pound-for-pound MMA champion has the contractual ability to transition into professional boxing without hindrance from their MMA contract.
The only question left is… Who will step up and accept Nick Diaz’s challenge to lace up the boxing gloves against one of MMA’s best?
Boxing promoter of Nick Diaz, Don Chargin will be actively pursuing a fight for Diaz for a super-fight that will take place in the Fall of 2011.
Chargin went on to say. “It’s the type of match-up that will undoubtedly shake-up both the MMA and boxing world for years to come when Nick Diaz steps into the ring. Nick is the first MMA fighter that I’ve seen throw punches like a boxer. That’s what got my attention when I decided to sign him. Diaz can make the cross-over to boxing.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Manny Pacquiao Isn’t Arrested, But May Face Vote-Buying Charges
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal
- Robert Guerrero aims to continue Bay Area Dominance