Star Boxing’s Joe DeGuardia Survives Horrific Car Accident
- July 30th, 2012
Star Boxing’s President Joe DeGuardia has survived a horrific and tragic fatal car accident while on his way home from “ROCKIN FIGHTS 4,”a sold-out event at The Paramount in Huntington, New York,
DeGuardia was on the Long Island Expressway in his new Mercedes Benz, when he was hit head-on by a Honda that was going the wrong way on the Expressway (just East of Exit ramp 41). The driver of the Honda was killed upon impact. There were reports that the driver of the Honda was operating without headlights on and was impaired.
Nassau County Sergeant Steven Fitzpatrick told 1010 WINS Radio that the crash was so brutal that both cars were throw approximately 150 feet from the point of impact. Both cars were totally destroyed.
‘I’m incredibly lucky to be alive” said DeGuardia. “I’m in quite a bit of pain, but I’ll be fine. Those close to DeGuardia commented that being in the well made brand new Mercedes Benz may have helped DeGuardia survive, and also suggested that DeGuardia’s instincts as a boxer (DeGuardia was a former Golden Gloves Champion who grew up on the tough streets of the Bronx) were also instrumental in his survival. Ironically, the accident was not far from where DeGuardia earned his law degree at Hofstra University School of Law School.
“I wish to express my deepest and most sincere appreciation for the outpouring of true concern I am humbled and honored by the emails, calls, texts, twitter, facebook and all other means of support I have received from all over the country and world from people in all aspects of my life, particularly including those in boxing, fans as well”.
“My thoughts and prayers are also extended to the families of the young man who lost his life and particularly his passenger. My prayers are with the young woman as she struggles for life”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail