Ruslan Chagaev Splits From Universum Boxing, Back On September 1
- July 26th, 2012
By Johnny Walker
Russian heavyweight and former world champion Ruslan Chagaev has split from financially troubled Universum Box-Promotion.
Chagaev, 33, cites the infrequency of his fights as a major reason for leaving the promoters, who are currently without a television deal in Germany.
“I need to move forward, and Universum cannot keep me fighting regularly,” says the former WBA world heavyweight champion.
“Time is running out … this infrequency of fights does not suit me, I do not want to stagnate. After a conversation with [Universum boss] Waldemar Klyuhom, we came to a mutual decision to terminate the contract, so now I am a free agent. ”
Chagaev says he intends to manage himself from now on for “greater flexibility” in finding opponents. He says he parted on friendly terms with Universum, and is still open to fighting on a Universum card “if they make an interesting proposal.”
As for the immediate future, Chagaev says he will appear on the undercard of the Felix Sturm vs Daniel Geale fight, to be held September 1 in Germany. His opponent is yet to be named.
“I want to take every opportunity to box, so without hesitation I agreed to participate on the Sturm card,” says Chagaev.
“I hope this fight will begin a new phase of my sporting career: I want to get into regular battle mode and then go on to fight more serious opponents.”
Chagaev says he will now train in both Germany and the United States, “where I still have old contacts with the American boxers and coaches, as well as new.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal