Roots of Fight Releases Mike Tyson Short Film
- June 26th, 2012
Roots of Fight is proud to honor the most devastating heavyweight boxer of all time, “Iron” Mike Tyson, with a T-shirt and short film to commemorate Tyson’s three victories in 1988, including his demolition of Michael Spinks on June 27th that earned him the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion title, but also the rare “lineal” Heavyweight Championship of the World.
The stunning short film features Tyson and is anchored by boxing legend Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini, with insights from Randy Couture, Forrest Griffin, and Snoop Dogg.
“The thing that made him so successful, made him so dangerous, and so feared, wasn’t that he hit hard, because he did,” says Mancini. “It wasn’t that he was so aggressive, which he was. It’s because he had some of the fastest hands of any heavyweight of all time.”
Viewers can watch Tyson’s trainer, the late Cus D’Amato, predicting the then 17-year-old Tyson’s ascension to the heavyweight throne during an interview with legendary sportscaster, Howard Cosell.
Tyson himself shows a new side to his personality and shares private memories about his relationship with D’Amato, a promise he made to Muhammad Ali to avenge Ali’s loss to Larry Holmes, and the fears he faced every time he stepped into the ring and continues to battle today.
“In order to show courage, there has to be fear. And that’s why we have courage, because we are afraid. That was the most successful part about me. I was so in touch with my fear. I’m ferocious and bloodthirsty. I just hated and dreaded losing,” says Tyson.
The “Tyson 88” special edition T-shirt featuring sleeve badges inspired by details from the trunks Tyson wore the night he defeated Spinks is now available for purchase through the Las Vegas Fight Shop, MMAWarehouse.com and rootsoffight.com.
About Roots of Fight
The Roots Of Fight™ pays tribute to the rich history and tradition of martial arts from regions around the globe and connects the history and images of iconic fighters like Muhammad Ali ® and Bruce Lee™ with the contemporary global scale of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). Roots Of Fight™ tells an authentic story that reflects a genuine place and time and weaves the true stories of icons from the past with those of the present – paying homage to the roots, regional influence and diversity of each discipline. The “Sweet Science”, “Jun Fan Gung Fu”, Jeet Kun Do along with Muay Thai, Russian Sambo and Krav Maga – legends about these fighting systems and others are explored by Roots Of Fight.™
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Arum Likes Floyd Jr. in Bout with Canelo, and – No Surprise – So Does Floyd Sr.
- Andre Ward is Offered Possibility of Two-Fight Deal with Stevenson
- In Light of Cancellation, Speculation About Stevenson as Possible Bernard Hopkins Foe
- HBO Boxing Results: Mikey Garcia and Terence Crawford Score Stoppage Victories
- UFC 161 Results: Rashad Evans Defeats Dan Henderson
- Funny Media Interview with Paul Malignaggi & Adrien Broner
- ESPN FNF Results: Vicente Drops Diaz, Payano Devastates Maraon
- NBC Sports Network Boxing Results: Jennings and Kovalev Continue to Impress
- UFC 161 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Rashad Evans
- Undefeated Bantamweights Battle On FNF In WBA Title Eliminator
- Quick-Tongued Adrien Broner Set for Test against Paulie Malignaggi
- Jackie Kallen: Is Mikey Garcia The Real Deal?
- Jim Gray Wonders Why Referee Stopped Fight — Josesito Lopez Was Still Breathing
- Jackie Kallen: LA vs Montreal, HBO vs Showtime, Dawson vs Stevenson, Maidana vs Lopez
- Is it fair for Floyd Mayweather to fight Saul Alvarez at a catch weight?
- Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao — a Fight They Don’t Want Us to Want
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather vs Canelo – Dream Fight At Last!
- Richest Fight Ever Set for Sept. 14 — Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez
- Mad Dog Carl Froch No Ordinary Englishman
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013