Robert Helenius To Return On November 10
- October 8th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
According to a report from Finland, heavy-handed heavyweight contender Robert “The Nordic Nightmare” Helenius is set to return from injury on November 10 in Helsinki against an opponent yet to be named.
Helenius suffered a severe shoulder injury before his December, 2011 match with Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora, and exacerbated the injury during the fight, which ended in a controversial split decision win for the Finn. He has been out of the ring ever since.
While out of action, Helenius underwent an operation during which a tendon was taken from his knee and implanted in his shoulder. He has been training for the last few weeks and deems himself ready to take the next step into actual competition.
The 6’6 1/2″ tall Finnish fighter was stripped of his European heavyweight championship while out of action: that title was won by current champion Kubrat Pulev in a box-off with Alexander Dimitrenko. Pulev went on to defend the title by defeating Russian giant Alexander Ustinov.
Helenius will likely test his shoulder out with a lower ranked heavyweight before he moves on to fights with Pulev and possibly one of the world champion Klitschko brothers. A rematch with Chisora has also been discussed. The boxer is also launching his own line of “Nordic Nightmare” sportswear in conjunction with his comeback.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail