Press Conf Quotes: Abner Mares, Anselmo Moreno, Cruz, Angula, De La Hoya
- October 3rd, 2012
Abner Mares (24-0-1, 13 KO’s), of Hawaiian Gardens, Calif., would defend his WBC Super Bantamweight World Championship against WBA Bantamweight Super World Champion Anselmo Moreno (33-1-1, 12 KO’s), of Panama City, Panama, in the main event on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING on Saturday, Nov. 10, at STAPLES Center.
What Mares, Moreno, Santa Cruz, Angulo and De La Hoya said yesterday:
“It’s an honor to be headlining at STAPLES Center, but I really don’t think about it. I’m just excited to be fighting a guy like Chemito, who people say is a pound-for-pound fighter, which he is. The fans have been asking for a fight like this for a long time. I think they’re happy that it is going to happen.
“I’m also excited for my hometown fans and friends, who’ll get the chance to see this fight live, but I know I can’t get caught up with stuff like that. This is a big fight for me, for both of us, and a great opportunity to showcase my talents.
“Chemito hasn’t lost in 10 years. He is a very difficult fighter, very talented, a technical, defensive fighter who knows his way around a ring. This is a tremendously hard fight for me, but one I wanted. I’ve been training very hard.
“I don’t want people to like me; I want them to respect me. I want to fight the best. The big winners on Nov. 10 will be the fans.
“I’d like to thank everyone responsible for making it happen. I look forward to defending my title and giving it all I have.”
ANSELMO “CHEMITO” MORENO
“After I beat Vic Darchinyan (Dec. 3, 2011, on SHOWTIME), I made a challenge to all the top fighters at 118 and 122. I got this offer and I took it. I am moving up to 122 pounds because that’s where the money and the big names are.
“I wanted a challenge at 122 pounds and this is a big one. This is a great opportunity. Abner Mares is a great champion. I’m looking forward to Nov. 10 and fighting a fellow champion of the world.
“After this fight I will sit down with my team to see what I want to do next – whether I want to stay at 122 or move back down to 118.”
LEO SANTA CRUZ
“I think people really started noticing me after my last fight against Morel (Sept. 15). I go places now and people recognize me more than ever before.
“It’s great to be fighting again so soon and I thank everyone involved for keeping me busy. I’ve been training really hard, and I think I’m getting better with each fight. It doesn’t matter who I fight because I train the same for all of them and will never underestimate any opponent.
“This will be my first fight at STAPLES so it is very exciting for me. I hope a lot of people come out.”
ALFRED “PERRO’’ ANGULO
“I really want to thank my lawyers, everybody really, who helped clear up all my visa issues so that I could fight again. Without them, there is no way I would be in L.A. today and getting ready for a fight.
“I also want to thank Golden Boy and SHOWTIME. I’m working now with Virgil Hunter and will be very prepared to go at it on Nov. 10.
“It’s really great to be back in business, doing what I really want to do.”
OSCAR DE LA HOYA
“I’m extremely proud to put this type of show together for the fans. We have a tremendous card once again, a quadruple-header that is showcasing some of the best fighters in the world. Whether you are at STAPLES Center on Nov. 10 or watching on SHOWTIME, this will be an exciting night of boxing.
“I’d like to thank everyone responsible for making this event a reality, especially those at STAPLES Center and Stephen Espinoza of SHOWTIME.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail