Monte Barrett Backs Haye To Conquer Klitschko
- June 20th, 2011
By Scoop Malinowski
Former world heavyweight title challenger Monte Barrett is a common opponent of both David Haye and Wladimir Klitschko. The American boxed Haye in late 2008, and also boxed Klitschko a decade ago, while also serving as a sparring partner more recently.
“I was in camp with Wladimir for a month. The guy is a serious guy, he trains really hard. And his brother is the truth. David Haye is also a true champion. In the heavyweight division I don’t see anybody who can contest with them at this point. I really don’t. But one thing I say in life is, Don’t count nobody out.”
Barrett was impressed with Haye and sees the colorful and outspoken Brit as a potential heir apparent to the Twin Ukrianian Towers. “I think David Haye has the potential to dominate. Everybody talks about his chin but we all get dropped in boxing. This is a hurt business. I think he has the personality and energy the heavyweight division needs.”
Barrett admits to being impressed by Haye, despite losing by stoppage. “I am (impressed) . Even though I lost, I’m not mad at him. He’s the young lion, he did his thing.”
Sharing the ring with Haye and engaging in pre-fight hype and requisite psychological warfare, Barrett made some observations: “Smart. He’s a smart fighter. His preparation. He and Adam Booth. There’s a method to their madness. They threw me off guard. I thought he was gonna come out and fight one way. He came out and fought a totally different way. I thought he was gonna be more aggressive and fight more straight up and he fought from a crouch position. His right hand wasn’t really a threat. It was his left hook. After the fight, when I analyzed everything, I thought he was a very smart fighter. I wasn’t sold until I saw Adam Booth on the stilts when he fought Valuev [laughter]. I said, this guy is the truth. Very smart. Because the way he prepared. So I think David Haye has the potential to really do something in the heavyweight division, I really do.”
Beat the Klitschkos?
“I think he can beat Wladimir,” Barrett stated. “I don’t know if he could beat Vitali but I think he can beat Wladimir. He’s sneaky. He’s just as smart as Wladimir. The Klitschkos are smart, they are doctors. I think David Haye has what it takes, out of all the heavyweights, to beat Wladimir.”
Haye will challenge Klitschko in Germany on July 2.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- FNF Results: Head Butts Set Theme For FNF; Howard Earns Technical Split Decision, Rodriguez Wins TKO
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail