Marco Huck: “I Want A Povetkin Rematch, Then Haye and the Klitschkos!”
- July 19th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
WBO cruiserweight champion Marco “Captain” Huck (pronounced “Hook”) is still fuming over his fight with WBA “regular” heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin back in February of this year.
Huck appeared to dominate the second half of the fight, staggering the Russian several times. Povetkin also resorted to questionable tactics, constantly bending down low while under attack, leaving Huck nothing to hit but the back of his head. Yet referee Luis Pabon said nothing to the champion, while reprimanding Huck several times for illegal blows.
While to many observers Huck appeared to have won the WBA “regular” heavyweight title, the judges disagreed, handing Povetkin a majority decision win instead. Since that time, Huck has fought once as a cruiserweight–a brutal draw with Ola Afolabi–but his mind is still on the Povetkin fight and the heavyweight division.
On his Facebook page, Huck has now addressed the issue of a possible match-up between Povetkin and the resurrected David Haye (such a fight would be tempting for Haye, who could force a showdown with WBA “super champion” Wladimir Klitschko if he wins Povetkin’s title), as well as his future as a heavyweight.
“I just read that Povetkin’s Manager Hrunov could not rule out a fight between his protégé (Alexander Povetkin) and (David) Haye,” writes the Captain.
“I’m surprised by this self-confidence. We saw last Saturday that Haye is an incredible fighter. From my own experience, I can say the same about Povetkin.
“Unfortunately, against Povetkin I also had to fight against the referee. This was clearly against me and unfortunately I was doomed. I still think I won against Povetkin. I had both the clear and effective punches.”
Captain Huck makes it clear that he sees his future as a boxer in the heavyweight division, and is targeting David Haye and the Klitschko brothers after Povetkin.
“I remain interested in returning to heavyweight,” Huck says.
“I’d like to once again to have a chance to fight against Povetkin, to repair my mistake of not stopping him early. I would like to personally take the title from Povetkin to prove that my disappointment and anger over the decision are not unjustified. Then I would be ready to take on the Klitschkos or Haye.
“I am of the opinion that I would be a reasonable opponent for all called aforementioned parties. With a fair referee nothing would stand in my way….
“The heavyweight division needs me – more than ever! I hope that my management does not deny me my desire, what I long for, and gives me the opportunity to do what I want. I want to be world heavyweight champion! This wish I will fulfill!”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal