Manny Pacquaio Reportedly Shunning Religious Advisors
- February 27th, 2013
by Johnny Walker
A key theme underlying superstar welterweight boxer and politician Manny “Pac-Man” Pacquiao’s last two fights has been his conversion to a strict form of Catholicism.
Early in 2012, the Filipino icon told reporters, “I realize I was a weak person before. If I had died I believe my soul would have ended in hell. I had faith, but I was doing things which were against the will of God.”
Pacquiao and associates went on to speak of sins that included drinking, womanizing, and gambling, the latter related to the vile form of animal cruelty known as “cockfighting,” in which roosters are armed with sharp metal spurs and made to fight to the death. Pacquiao at one time owned more than a thousand of the fighting roosters, but has since given them away.
Since the Pac-Man has become more devout, however, things have not been going his way in the ring. He lost a very controversial decision to American Timothy Bradley and has been knocked senseless by Juan Manuel Marquez.
During the lead-up to the Bradley fight, Pacquiao rankled many when he attempted to make religious statements concerning gay marriage that were either initially misconstrued or that he was forced into walking back, depending on who one believes. At any rate, Pacquiao’s ostentatious displays of religion before the Bradley fight no doubt rubbed some people in Las Vegas, his boxing home way from home, the wrong way.
Sin City and Jesus don’t exactly make a harmonious duo. After the rather bizarre judging of Pacquiao vs Bradley went the way of the American challenger, there were whispers from boxing insiders that this raw deal was “payback” for the Pac-Man’s overt religious displays (he insisted that those in his camp follow along) in publicity events since he arrived in the USA for the fight.
Fast forward to February 2013: in the aftermath of Pacquiao’s devastating knockout at the hands of enemy Juan Manuel Marquez, reports say that a coterie of religious advisers have now been banished from the Pacquiao camp.
“These pastors were the very ones denounced by Mommy Dionisia, the Pacman’s loving mom, for having pushed the Filipino boxing superhero out of sync in his last fight against Mexico’s Juan Manuel Marquez,” says a report in Inquirer Sports.
The report indicates that while preparing for his fourth fight with Marquez, Pacquiao’s mother “decried how Pacquiao had been made to stay up till the wee hours of morning in the run-up to the Marquez fight trying to interpret and memorize the Bible with these pastors.”
Ms. Yolly Alfante, president of the Mindanao Professional Boxing Association, says that during a recent visit with the boxer/politician, he indicated that the religious advisors had been banished.
“I myself had warned Manny about those guys. They were nowhere on Tuesday and Manny himself assured they were all gone,” Alfante says in the article.
“Pacquiao stared at her and signaled with both eyes and hands that there were no more pastors around,” the report states.
“Alfante said that, knowing Pacquiao, whom she had helped in his hungry years, the boxing hero meant the pastors have been dumped for good.”
Perhaps the congressman has decided that he needs to be listening to trainer Freddie Roach more and certain men of the cloth a little less, given that he’s on a two-fight losing streak and boxing not exactly being a “turn the other cheek” kind of sport.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, 50 Cent, and more….
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- Must We Disdain Excitement & Rally to Snore-Mongering Guillermo Rigondeaux?
- WBC Should Sanction an Interim Champion; Vitali Klitschko has Bigger Fights Ahead
- Boxing’s Biggest Battle: HBO vs Showtime
- Adrien Broner and the Anatomy of Creating a Superstar
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself