Klitschko-Solis Title Fight Crashes EPIX Website
- March 20th, 2011
If you show it they will login. That was the premise for broadcasting Saturday’s Vitali Klitschko vs. Odlanier Solis WBC heavyweight championship fight live from Colgne, Germany. And while the live broadcast on EPIX and the simulcast on a Times Square jumbotron went off without a hitch, the live streaming on EpixHD.com experienced some problems.
The replay of the EPIX broadcast, featuring the commentary of three-time heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, plus Sam Rosen and Tony Paige, is now available on EpixHD.com at http://www.epixhd.com/klitschko-vs-solis/ (main event) and
http://www.epixhd.com/klitschko-vs-solis-undercard/ (select undercard bouts).
“Due to the incredible volume of viewers logging in at the same time, just as the broadcast was about to begin at 5 p.m. ET, the system that we used to register them for the free two-week trial began to fail which caused many fans to miss the undercard fights. We made the decision to put the main event, Klitschko vs. Solis, in the clear online, eliminating the need for registration to the site,” said Mark Greenberg, President & CEO of EPIX, the multichannel premium entertainment system. “We apologize to the boxing fans who had to endure this.
Photo Caption: The EPIX closed captioned simulcast of Klitchko vs. Solis, where hundreds of boxing fans watched the fight on a Times Square jumbotron
“Over 100,000 people tried to login to the live stream of the fights, with most of that volume coming at the same time. The fan attention behaved more like a pay-per-view event than a TV show. By putting Klitschko vs. Solis in the clear online, we were able to serve the vast majority of those streams,” Greenberg continued. “Though the problems with registration are unacceptable, the good news is it proved that the internet is a viable vehicle for broadcasting a good fight live.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- HBO Boxing Results: Stevenson and Kovalev Win by Knockout, Again…..
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself
- Top Rank Will Kiss Off HBO to Get Floyd Mayweather Deal with Manny Pacquiao
- Froch-Groves: Miscellaneous Musings in the Aftermath of a Masterclass
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather takes his promotion company on the road
- Ex-Lightweight Anthony Fletcher Entombed Live for Want of ‘Hook’
- On Sense and Sensibility Among Boxing’s Critics
- All I want For Christmas Are These Ten Fights: the Best Match-Up’s In Boxing