Klitschko-Solis Title Fight Crashes EPIX Website
- March 20th, 2011
If you show it they will login. That was the premise for broadcasting Saturday’s Vitali Klitschko vs. Odlanier Solis WBC heavyweight championship fight live from Colgne, Germany. And while the live broadcast on EPIX and the simulcast on a Times Square jumbotron went off without a hitch, the live streaming on EpixHD.com experienced some problems.
The replay of the EPIX broadcast, featuring the commentary of three-time heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis, plus Sam Rosen and Tony Paige, is now available on EpixHD.com at http://www.epixhd.com/klitschko-vs-solis/ (main event) and
http://www.epixhd.com/klitschko-vs-solis-undercard/ (select undercard bouts).
“Due to the incredible volume of viewers logging in at the same time, just as the broadcast was about to begin at 5 p.m. ET, the system that we used to register them for the free two-week trial began to fail which caused many fans to miss the undercard fights. We made the decision to put the main event, Klitschko vs. Solis, in the clear online, eliminating the need for registration to the site,” said Mark Greenberg, President & CEO of EPIX, the multichannel premium entertainment system. “We apologize to the boxing fans who had to endure this.
Photo Caption: The EPIX closed captioned simulcast of Klitchko vs. Solis, where hundreds of boxing fans watched the fight on a Times Square jumbotron
“Over 100,000 people tried to login to the live stream of the fights, with most of that volume coming at the same time. The fan attention behaved more like a pay-per-view event than a TV show. By putting Klitschko vs. Solis in the clear online, we were able to serve the vast majority of those streams,” Greenberg continued. “Though the problems with registration are unacceptable, the good news is it proved that the internet is a viable vehicle for broadcasting a good fight live.”
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime PPV Results: Canelo Gives Angulo a Beat down in All Mexican Affaire!
- Canelo Dominates Angulo, Almost Saves Pay Per View Card
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Dusty Harrison Remains Undefeated, Morales and Nugaev Win
- Showtime PPV Preview: Canelo vs. Angulo, Santa Cruz vs. Mijares
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Shobox Results: J’Leon Love Wins & A Night of Unforeseen Events
- Floyd Mayweather Gives The Media A Very Strange “Moment.”
- Rapacious Showtime Demanding $60 for Canelo Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo
- Alfredo “Perro” Angulo: Going against the Vegas Chalk and Picking Angulo to Win
- Is Canelo Alvarez an A-List Boxer – Or Just An A-List Celebrity?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo by the Numbers
- The Top Boxing Fights That Need to Be Made From Matchmaker Ron Katz
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons
- Jackie Kallen: Is Floyd Mayweather vs Adrien Broner Inevitable?