It’s Official: Mayweather vs. Alvarez for September 14th
- May 30th, 2013
By: William Holmes
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has long been criticized for not stepping out of his comfort zone to take on a challenger the public deems worthy. Those criticisms are now silenced.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has just announced via twitter that he will be facing the WBC and WBA Junior Middleweight Champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on September 14th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The fight will take place at a catch weight of 152 pounds with the WBC, WBA, Ring, and the WBA “Super” title’s at stake.
Top Rank has already moved their Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Timothy Bradley PPV Bout from September 14th to October 12th at UNLV’s Thomas and Mack Center.
Floyd made the announcement official with this statement on twitter: “I chose my opponent for September 14th and it’s Canelo Alvarez. I’m giving the fans what they want. It will be at the MGM Grand.”
This is a fight the fans and the experts want and it will certainly be the most anticipated matchup of the year. On September 15th one of these fighters will no longer be undefeated.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Rock Steady: Battling Parkinson’s Disease At Gleason’s Gym
- Showtime PPV Results: Canelo Gives Angulo a Beat down in All Mexican Affaire!
- Canelo Dominates Angulo, Almost Saves Pay Per View Card
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Dusty Harrison Remains Undefeated, Morales and Nugaev Win
- Showtime PPV Preview: Canelo vs. Angulo, Santa Cruz vs. Mijares
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Floyd Mayweather Gives The Media A Very Strange “Moment.”
- Rapacious Showtime Demanding $60 for Canelo Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo
- Alfredo “Perro” Angulo: Going against the Vegas Chalk and Picking Angulo to Win
- Is Canelo Alvarez an A-List Boxer – Or Just An A-List Celebrity?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo by the Numbers
- The Top Boxing Fights That Need to Be Made From Matchmaker Ron Katz
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons
- Jackie Kallen: Is Floyd Mayweather vs Adrien Broner Inevitable?