Dereck Chisora Arrested In Germany after Wild Brawl with David Haye
- February 19th, 2012
By Johnny Walker
Hey, who needs Mike Tyson when you’ve got Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora?
According to The Telegraph, UK heavyweight Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora, who yesterday lost a unanimous decision to WBC champion Vitali Klitschko in Munich, Germany, has been arrested by German police following a wild brawl at the post fight press conference with recently retired UK heavyweight David Haye.
Chisora was irked when Haye showed up at the presser to verbally attack Klitschko manager Bernd Boente, who Haye claims is trying to nix a fight between him and Vitali.
Haye was yelling insults at Boente, and Chisora responded by repeatedly asking, “David, how’s your toe?” Chisora challenged Haye to a fight, to which Haye responded (incorrectly) “You’ve got three losses in a row!” An enraged Chisora got up from the podium to walk over and get directly in Haye’s face, and Haye, who appeared to have a beer bottle in his hand, went on the attack.
A wild melee then broke out, with Chisora soon claiming that Haye “glassed” him. “He glassed me,” said Chisora. “I swear to God, David, I’m gonna fucking shoot you. I’m gonna shoot David Haye … he glassed me, I’m not having it.”
Haye, who is also seen in press video brandishing a large camera tripod at Chisora trainer Don Charles, hurriedly departed the scene.
During all of this, the Klitschko brothers stood by and bemusedly watched two of their recent pugilistic victims go after each other.
Haye’s manager Adam Booth then appeared, blood running down his face from a cut on his forehead, demanding to know who “glassed” him.
Booth was still enraged at Boente: “Bernd, you’re a liar and a bitch,” Booth told the Klitschko manager, before turning to Vitali Klitschko.
“Vitali, you’re a great champion, but your manager is an embarrassment to the sport,” said Booth. “I respect you as a fighter, but [Boente] is an embarrassment.”
A still steaming Chisora, however, now became even further enraged, saying to Booth: “We can do it in the ring or outside the ring. If David don’t fight me, I’m telling you the God’s honest truth, yeah, I’m going to physically burn him.
“So you tell him I say that. His entourage ain’t got nothing on my entourage. So you make sure … I’m going to find him.”
Haye’s whereabouts are currently unknown – the German police want to question him over his role in the melee. The British Boxing Board of Control is also investigating.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Thurman vs. Diaz, Figueroa vs. Belmontes, Matthysse vs. Molina
- ESPN Boxing Preview: Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alex Leapai
- Adrien Broner – Media Work Out Quotes
- Floyd Mayweather Faces Softball Questions During Media Conference Call
- Boxing Insider Notebook: MGM vs. Top Rank, Donaire, Pacquiao, Pascal, Klitschko, and more
- Floyd Mayweather Media Work Out Quotes
- Chris Arreola: “This Is A Do Or Die Fight For Me.”
- Media Interview with Marcos Maidana & Robert Garcia
- Luis Collazo Will Face Not One, But Two Opponents On May 3
- Rubin “Hurricane” Carter Dead at Age 76
- Will Canelo Alvarez Fight Manny Pacquiao? Not if Richard Schaefer Has His Way
- Showtime Triple-Header: Thurman Headlines Slaughter House Three
- Showtime, Borrowing Soviet-Style Tactic, Turns Sergey Kovalev into Non-Person
- Jackie Kallen: Keith Thurman rides again this weekend
- All Access: Why Floyd Loves The Haters
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate