David Haye: “No Face to Face Weigh-In With Dereck Chisora–He’s Got A Screw Loose”
- May 10th, 2012
By Johnny Walker
Former WBA heavyweight champion David Haye of the UK has nixed the idea of a face to face stare-down with his countryman and challenger Dereck “Del Boy” Chisora at the weigh-in for their fight on July 14 in London.
Haye feels that if he were to face off with Chisora at the weigh-in, “Del Boy” would try to do something along the lines of his hard slap to WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko’s face before their fight in Munich.
Chisora went on to spit water in Wladimir Klitschko’s face and then brawl with Haye at the post-fight press conference, where Haye had gone to try and convince Vitali Klitschko to fight him.
Haye and Chisora were separated by a seven foot high steel fence at the initial presser for their upcoming bout.
“The head-to-head weigh-in is off the cards,” says Haye.
“It’s not happening because it will kick off. At no stage do I want to be in this guy’s personal space because we have done that before and it didn’t end up nicely. If there wasn’t a fence there [at the presser], I know for a fact that he would have tried to do something.”
Haye feels that Chisora is truly a deranged individual.
“I truly believe he has a screw loose, a few screws loose actually,” says the former champ.
“Dereck does some really strange things.”
“I have seen him get hold of a guy and kiss him, I have seen him push another guy in the face at the weigh-in and look at his criminal record – bashing up his missus, assaulting police officers, carrying offensive weapons….”
Haye was not reassured by what he heard through the fence from Chisora at the presser, either.
“He’s just the most bizarre person,” says Haye.
“He was talking mad things through the fence. He was asking where I got my suit from, what I am doing on Sunday.
“The guy is mental. He’s gone in the head.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail